Primolut N - delaying periods Watch

AngelofnoColour
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hi, has anyone used PRIMOLUT N? I was prescribed it from my GP after telling her that I will be on my period during my holiday abroad and hence want to delay/stop it for then. She gave me 30 pills, and said to take 2 pills 3 days before you're due to start (although my cycle is unpredictable), and stop taking them when you want to bleed. The pills just delay your period. Anyway on my prescription, it says take 3 pills a day, and so does the leaflet. Also if I did take 3 pills a day, the pills would run out in 10 days, and my period is unpredictable, so I would still be bleeding during my holiday (which is a 7 days holiday). I was wondering whether anyone has used these pills, and what your experiences were with them? Did you take 2 or 3 pills? Did you experience any side effects?

Thanks
x
Hygeia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by AngelofnoColour)
Hi, has anyone used PRIMOLUT N? I was prescribed it from my GP after telling her that I will be on my period during my holiday abroad and hence want to delay/stop it for then. She gave me 30 pills, and said to take 2 pills 3 days before you're due to start (although my cycle is unpredictable), and stop taking them when you want to bleed. The pills just delay your period. Anyway on my prescription, it says take 3 pills a day, and so does the leaflet. Also if I did take 3 pills a day, the pills would run out in 10 days, and my period is unpredictable, so I would still be bleeding during my holiday (which is a 7 days holiday). I was wondering whether anyone has used these pills, and what your experiences were with them? Did you take 2 or 3 pills? Did you experience any side effects?

Thanks
x
primolut N is more commonly known as norethisterone, i haven't personally taken it but know that it is 3 pills per day for the 3 days before when your period would normally be and then it will occur 2-3 days after you stop taking the pills. i'm not sure what the advice is for irregular periods though.
lazzyfuzzylou
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, I had really irregular periods when I took it, so what I did was take 3 per day for the 2 days before my holiday and then 2 per day for the holiday. That worked fine because as long as you're taking it, your period won't come. Be prepared for a strange period after you stop taking it though!
josee32
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i took them and have never been more ill in my life...so much so i hallucinated lol!!! funny looking back on it now but not at the time...but obviously effects people differentely!!
AngelofnoColour
Rep:
?
(Original post by lazzyfuzzylou)
Yeah, I had really irregular periods when I took it, so what I did was take 3 per day for the 2 days before my holiday and then 2 per day for the holiday. That worked fine because as long as you're taking it, your period won't come. Be prepared for a strange period after you stop taking it though!
Thanks. I would like to know abit more about this strange period you had.
AngelofnoColour
Rep:
?
(Original post by lazzyfuzzylou)
If I do what you did, and take 3 tablets at first and then 2 after that everyday, I should be free over my holiday. I hope it works Although Im properly due on Monday, I cant start taking my tablets til Sunday, as I tend to be late by 2/3 days.
Lauren67
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I took norethisterone to delay my periods, although it was only for about a week. I took 3 tablets a day 3 days before, and during when my period was due, although quite a lot of the time i forgot and ended up only taking 2, and my period never came. So if you only take 2 a day i'm sure you would be fine.
I got a slightly funny period after aswell, it came 3 days after i stopped taking it, but lasted a few days longer than normal.
AngelofnoColour
Rep:
?
Thanks for the reassurance

:tsr:
lazzyfuzzylou
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, my period was longer than usual by about 5 days (grr) but way lighter as well.
Anonymous #1
Report 11 years ago
just wondering what you do at the doctors to get prescribed them for the first time if you haven't been on the pill or anything before. do they do a blood test or anything?
josee32
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
nope just tell them that your going on hol etc. and they will ask you a bit of history probs but thats it
ivymeg2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i took like two pills but i nearly died. i puked so bad and got a fever. i also think they arent good for people with hyperacidity or stomach ulcers. goodluck mayb they work differently for pple. your periods might also be longer but light
thetringle3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hey, i took the primolut N, my pharmacist advised i took 2 pills a day.......it worked..... period was regular after....a little lighter
daisydaffodil
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I took it once for six months due to hellish PMT - never again. Was supposed to take 1 3 times a day for a week and then my period would start... I landed up having a period every two weeks - my periods would start the week before I was meant to start taking the tablets.. Ended up with worse PMT and period pain as well. I think though if you only take it for a short while it'll be fine xx
It_z Ariel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes I am currently on the pill but I stopped bc the side effects was to much and my period is so heavy after I stopped I do not recommend people to try this its dangerous.
Uzma Adnan
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
After taking it for delaying periods in a month and your periods starts after 2 days as expected. When does the next periods arrive in next month? (If we do not take medicine again in next month)
Uzma Adnan
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you are taking it for delaying periods in a month and your periods starts after 2 days as expected. When does the next periods starts in next month? (If we do not take medicine again in next month/ next time)
Oma356
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
What happens if someone takes 12 primolut n in one day
Shabansindhu
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Can we have sex after taking this tab primoult n after stoping periods
Kbaby88
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Took 3 tablets everyday for 2 weeks,my period started after 3 days of stopping ,but lasted longer and was slightly heavier,but I didn’t get my period the following month.Is that normal?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (206)
23.54%
Pop (216)
24.69%
Jazz (33)
3.77%
Classical (49)
5.6%
Hip-Hop (168)
19.2%
Electronic (60)
6.86%
Indie (143)
16.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise