The Student Room Group

Maths or RE A-level

Which one is harder?
I managed a 7 (A) in maths GCSE and same in RE.
At the moment I’m doing both but I really don’t know which one I should drop.
I want to go into medicine, and I’m doing chemistry and biology, I just don’t know what other one to do, I like both but the thing is; I’m not that good at maths but then, I don’t really like writing essays and I’m not the best at that either so I’m really struggling between the two.
Reply 1
For medicine, it's hit and miss. Some medical schools like seeing that you have an ethical brain and are more well-rounded (balanced between humanities and science - Hippocratic oath says that medicine is both an art and a science), whereas others would prefer Maths for it's strong analytical and numerical qualities.

Maths is more a more typical A-Level for a pre-med student, and RE is rarer but can be very beneficial if you play your cards right.

It's ultimately down to personal preference - maybe phone some admissions schools and ask for advice? I never took either for an A-Level so can't comment on how hard they'll be - sorry! Best you can do is trust yourself, and make sure you make a fully informed decision!
Reply 2
Original post by ells99
For medicine, it's hit and miss. Some medical schools like seeing that you have an ethical brain and are more well-rounded (balanced between humanities and science - Hippocratic oath says that medicine is both an art and a science), whereas others would prefer Maths for it's strong analytical and numerical qualities.

Maths is more a more typical A-Level for a pre-med student, and RE is rarer but can be very beneficial if you play your cards right.

It's ultimately down to personal preference - maybe phone some admissions schools and ask for advice? I never took either for an A-Level so can't comment on how hard they'll be - sorry! Best you can do is trust yourself, and make sure you make a fully informed decision!

Thank you,
I emailed and called some universities and they all said that it’s completely fine for me to do ethics and they wouldn’t choose someone with maths over someone doing ethics, however I just really don’t know which one I should do.
I don’t want to drop one and then end up struggling too much, because at the end of the day I need an A in either one.
Original post by ells99

Cambridge is perhaps the only university that prefers students to do a third subject in STEM. All other universities really don't care or have a preference as long as the subject is reasonably academic.

Original post by jules1111
Thank you,
I emailed and called some universities and they all said that it’s completely fine for me to do ethics and they wouldn’t choose someone with maths over someone doing ethics, however I just really don’t know which one I should do.
I don’t want to drop one and then end up struggling too much, because at the end of the day I need an A in either one.

Given that you've received a 7 for Maths, I'd go with R.E. I really do believe that it's a really easy (and interesting) subject that's very reputable. I'd only go for Maths if you were super confident that you'd get an A or A*. Otherwise, RS is the much safer choice. :rambo:
Original post by Quick-use
Given that you've received a 7 for Maths, I'd go with R.E. I really do believe that it's a really easy (and interesting) subject that's very reputable. I'd only go for Maths if you were super confident that you'd get an A or A*. Otherwise, RS is the much safer choice. :rambo:

Isn't RE a soft subject though?
Original post by SlightlySummer
Isn't RE a soft subject though?

Not at all. Things like 'soft subjects' etc don't exist anymore. RE is a very well respected subject and would be accepted by any university. An applicant won't be given extra points for doing 3 equally traditional subjects.

It's a sad reality that this misconception continues to be perpetuated by certain students and even teachers. :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Quick-use
Cambridge is perhaps the only university that prefers students to do a third subject in STEM. All other universities really don't care or have a preference as long as the subject is reasonably academic.

The thing is, I quite enjoyed maths but I don’t think I will be able to get an A in it, but at the same time, I don’t think I’m that good at writing essays, and I think it’s a lot harder to get an A with essays
Original post by jules1111
The thing is, I quite enjoyed maths but I don’t think I will be able to get an A in it, but at the same time, I don’t think I’m that good at writing essays, and I think it’s a lot harder to get an A with essays

RE is a mix of small essays and questions. It's not like History or English Lit at all. I honestly think that it's quite a factual subject. It really is simple and common sense once you learn about it. :rambo:

Quick Reply

Latest