The Student Room Group

Law work experience necessary??

I want to apply for law at Russel group unis and I know its very competitive, however ive been trying to find voluntary placements for MONTHS and yet no luck as they mostly offer them to undergrad students.

Is it necessary to include law work experience on my personal statement? it is a strong personal statement with lots of passion, retail experience, visits ive done to courts etc and i have the predicted grades for the course
Reply 1
You'll be fine. Legal work experience is not requirdd: concentrate on demonstrating that you understand what academic skills and personal qualities (grit, organisation, work ethic ) a law degree requires and that you have them, using examples. Also reflect on any law-related reading you've done.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by cccacademicx
I want to apply for law at Russel group unis and I know its very competitive, however ive been trying to find voluntary placements for MONTHS and yet no luck as they mostly offer them to undergrad students.

Is it necessary to include law work experience on my personal statement? it is a strong personal statement with lots of passion, retail experience, visits ive done to courts etc and i have the predicted grades for the course

Not required whatsoever. People who have acquired work experience won't score additional points either. No extra points for nepotism. :rambo:
Original post by Quick-use
Not required whatsoever. People who have acquired work experience won't score additional points either. No extra points for nepotism. :rambo:

My teacher said i should find some sort of work placement because of how competitive it is, would i be risking my application if i apply without doing this? its really made me feel disheartened as i had finally perfected my personal statement and ive been revising so hard
so long as you make it clear in your personal statement that you are passionate about law there is no issue but in terms of advice with getting legal experience it’s all about having contacts (unfortunately) maybe try ask friends/family if they know of anyone in the industry
My teacher said i should find some sort of work placement because of how competitive it is, would i be risking my application if i apply without doing this? its really made me feel disheartened as i had finally perfected my personal statement and ive been revising so hard

I'm afraid that your teacher's been mistaken. Law experience would be interesting to mention in the PS but it is not at all necessary. I repeat - a Law experience won't make your personal statement stand out from the rest and it definitely won't give you an advantage or extra points.

A law degree is an academic course not a vocational one. Work experience isn't necessary (and a PS that focuses too much on a legal career/experiences at the expense of academic interests can be a problem as it shows a misunderstanding of what the LLB degree involves).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending