The Student Room Group

Forensics psychology- recommended?

Hi I’m a mature student 22, wanting to study forensics psychology. Would anyone who has done this course recommend it doing it as a undergraduate or doing psychology first? Just really what do you think of the course thankyou
I could be wrong so you may want to check but.

I’m pretty sure to actually practice Forensic Psychology you need to have a masters level qualification. So it wouldn’t matter if you do psychology or forensic psychology at undergraduate level as you would need to follow up with a masters.

Also check whichever course you choose is BPS accredited as the entry requirements of most forensic psychology masters will require the undergrad to be accredited.
Original post by henleykt
I could be wrong so you may want to check but.

I’m pretty sure to actually practice Forensic Psychology you need to have a masters level qualification. So it wouldn’t matter if you do psychology or forensic psychology at undergraduate level as you would need to follow up with a masters.

Also check whichever course you choose is BPS accredited as the entry requirements of most forensic psychology masters will require the undergrad to be accredited.

This is correct. You have to complete an MSc after the undergraduate degree as it forms Stage 1 of becoming a Chartered Forensic Psychologist, Stage 2 is two years supervision working in a forensic setting. There's another route which involves doing a doctorate, completing both stages in one go, but this is more difficult to get onto and limited in terms of how many universities offer doctorate courses in that area compared with the MSc course.

OP - in terms of whether you want to Forensic Psychology BSc or Psychology BSc, it doesn't really matter, neither will put you at a particular advantage or disadvantage. The thing that will really make you stand out when applying for an MSc or doctorate is work experience.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest