hendelrey
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hey,
I'm very interested in medicine and I have done some research about it and I understand that I have to take biology and chemistry, I'm not sure about the third option because of medical schools having different requirements, I don't really enjoy physics or maths (even though I'm doing alright on it), I'm interested in crime and politics but would be open for other options as well.
What do you think would help me most?
Thank you!
super_kawaii
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by hendelrey)
Hey,
I'm very interested in medicine and I have done some research about it and I understand that I have to take biology and chemistry, I'm not sure about the third option because of medical schools having different requirements, I don't really enjoy physics or maths (even though I'm doing alright on it), I'm interested in crime and politics but would be open for other options as well.
Thank you!
Chemistry and Biology are obviously requirements for pretty all med schools, as you've said.

Have you considered maybe Philosophy and Ethics as your third option? As medicine often has a lot of ethical dilemmas present, like abortion, euthanasia, patient consent etc
elle439
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Philosophy is a good option as ethics is a major part of Medicine. Psychology could also be a good option, it's more scientific than Philosophy and is a named option on some medical school websites. But as long as it can relate to medicine in some way you could do anything as a third A Level.
hendelrey
Rep:
?
(Original post by elle439)
Philosophy is a good option as ethics is a major part of Medicine. Psychology could also be a good option, it's more scientific than Philosophy and is a named option on some medical school websites. But as long as it can relate to medicine in some way you could do anything as a third A Level.
Thank you very much for your help.
zombie2233
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thank you very much for your help.
Biology and chemistry ovi, then you should do philosophy or psychology
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey,
Thank you!
Chemistry, Biology and absolutely any 3rd academic A level you think you can get at least an A in and you enjoy (unless planning on applying to Cambridge who need 3 sciences - no other med school has any requirement for your 3rd A level)
Last edited by GANFYD; 5 months ago
hendelrey
Rep:
?
(Original post by GANFYD)
Chemistry, Biology and absolutely any 3rd academic A level you think you can get at least an A in and you enjoy (unless planning on applying to Cambridge who need 3 sciences - no other med school has any requirement for your 3rd A level)
What is considered an ‘academic A level’, I’m new to all this.
DGeorge13
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
OST often anything that isn’t critical thinking or general studies and it wouldn’t include epq which isn’t actually an a level. Also, you may limit yourself if you take a subject which extensively overlaps with another one or if you take a native language (obviously other than language or literature). Take what you’ll do best at as that is important unless as stated you want to go to Cambridge who are relatively blatant that three sciences are preferred
2500_2
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Not general studies or critical thinking, not anything with the word 'applied' in the title.
I'm not sure about Criminology but I'd be a bit wary of it if you're considering it - email some uni admissions to ask.
hendelrey
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by DGeorge13)
OST often anything that isn’t critical thinking or general studies and it wouldn’t include epq which isn’t actually an a level. Also, you may limit yourself if you take a subject which extensively overlaps with another one or if you take a native language (obviously other than language or literature). Take what you’ll do best at as that is important unless as stated you want to go to Cambridge who are relatively blatant that three sciences are preferred
Would something like Psychology be alright for a third option? Would it be considered as an academic subject?
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Would something like Psychology be alright for a third option? Would it be considered as an academic subject?
Yes, it’s fine. Avoid the ones mentioned above
super_kawaii
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Most unis will have a list of A Levels they deem "acceptable". For example, Sheffield has two lists, "Acceptable" and "acceptable only in combination with any of the previous list"

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergra...apply/alevels#

Lists like this should provide guidance on which subjects to pick outside of any explicit subject requirements
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?