Need help with sociology homework

Watch this thread
lordjohnnyball
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have a couple of questions that I am confused on and either have an answer for or do not.

Hargreaves argues that education in modern Britain fails to transmit shared values, promote self-disciplines, or cement social solidarity. In reality Britain emphasise individual competition through exams rather than encouraging social solidarity. Which part of the functionalist theory does it challenge? How?

Feminists believe that the education system only benefits men. One of the ways it does this is through a curriculum that is more suited to males. Which part of the functionalist theory does it challenge? How?

The new right argue that the state education system fails to adequately prepare people for work because star control discouraged competition and choice. Which part of the functionalist theory does it challenge? How?

I think this is meritocracy due to them believing that students should be awarded to achieve good jobs.
username3318492
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
1. This challenges Emile Durkheim's functionalist theory that education serves to transmit shared values to future generations, thus bringing about social solidarity according to a social consensus. I am confident that it is challenging Durkheim's theory but I would do some more research on his viewpoint as it has been over a year since I have studied it.

2. Not too sure about this new one, the only answer I can think of is the concept of the National Curriculum (but I seem to remember this was fa New Right argument). The National Curriculum means that schools are required to teach everyone the same content, and thus students take examinations that do not differ according to sex.

3. I'm not familiar with 'star control' so I'm afraid I can't help you with this one.

I hope this helps, but I don't recommend relying solely on my answers as it has been a while since I've studied Sociology. Good luck.
lordjohnnyball
Rep:
State control*
username3318492
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lordjohnnyball)
State control*
Oh that makes more sense. The last question you were given is difficult to understand so I'm struggling to find an answer for it if I'm honest. I thought the state encouraged competition and choice with the concept of parentocracy, with wealthier parents having the choice to send their child to a 'good' school, while less wealthier parents didn't have such choice.
lordjohnnyball
Rep:
We haven’t learnt about that yet. He gave us a hard sheet as he wanted us to work harder. I didn’t understand any of it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (20)
31.75%
They're what I expected (19)
30.16%
They're worse than what I expected (24)
38.1%

Watched Threads