The Student Room Group

How to remove toxic family members off social media?

I've managed to remove one cousin from my instagram, but I want to remove the rest too. I admit I regret accepting their follow requests in the first place but I was none the wiser.

One of my cousins is on there... now she has always had an idealistic view of marriage, craving a rich man and going to desperate measures to get one. Her dream has come true and she now has her fairytale ending, with them getting engaged within months of knowing one another. Anyway, this cousin has always tried to copy everything I do. My look, my area of study, certain things I say, even cook and bake, etc etc...
We have absolutely nothing in common and she has no substance, whereas people have often told me I have a lot to me/ going for me.

This cousin of mine isn't currently working and spends her days posting stories of her engagement ring, wedding prep... literally anything to do with her new beau. I stupidly find myself comparing her fiance to mine, and it's doing my head in. I've got someone truly amazing.

I want to delete her and other cousins from my IG, but I don't know how to go about it subtly. Any ideas?!
Reply 1
You can remove people from your followers by clicking the three dots in your followers section. They won’t know that you’ve done that, you just won’t appear in their feed anymore.
Reply 2
You can remove them from your followers list. Or just simply block them.
Reply 3
Original post by myraxo
You can remove people from your followers by clicking the three dots in your followers section. They won’t know that you’ve done that, you just won’t appear in their feed anymore.

Original post by Deggs_14
You can remove them from your followers list. Or just simply block them.

I wanted to do that but they'd still be able to see that I have an active instagram account if they search for me. I then thought about changing my name... but then I figured there's no point doing that. I even considered making a new account altogether.
But I guess what you've suggested is really my only hope lol
Just remove them, if they don’t like it, tough
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I wanted to do that but they'd still be able to see that I have an active instagram account if they search for me. I then thought about changing my name... but then I figured there's no point doing that. I even considered making a new account altogether.
But I guess what you've suggested is really my only hope lol

Tell them your account got hacked or something, and if it’s private they can’t really see your activity. If you block them your account won’t even come up when they search for you
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I've managed to remove one cousin from my instagram, but I want to remove the rest too. I admit I regret accepting their follow requests in the first place but I was none the wiser.

One of my cousins is on there... now she has always had an idealistic view of marriage, craving a rich man and going to desperate measures to get one. Her dream has come true and she now has her fairytale ending, with them getting engaged within months of knowing one another. Anyway, this cousin has always tried to copy everything I do. My look, my area of study, certain things I say, even cook and bake, etc etc...
We have absolutely nothing in common and she has no substance, whereas people have often told me I have a lot to me/ going for me.

This cousin of mine isn't currently working and spends her days posting stories of her engagement ring, wedding prep... literally anything to do with her new beau. I stupidly find myself comparing her fiance to mine, and it's doing my head in. I've got someone truly amazing.

I want to delete her and other cousins from my IG, but I don't know how to go about it subtly. Any ideas?!

Why do you need to be subtle with toxic people? Just block them!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending