Hasan167
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've just started at my sixth form 4th week this week, I'm doing maths business and law
I got at Gcse
Maths 6
english 7
science 5/5
and all my others pathways were ranging from 4-6 . no fails. I didn't revise for my GCSEs one bit I didn't really care to be honest as I felt I could do without. A levels and college life has been a big shock to my system, I'm not saying it's difficult e.g. the work however what I've heard is Law OCR is hard and there's tons of workload I feel I'll struggle, maths wow I've heard nothing but horror, and business is an easy A level in my eyes its something that clicks with me anyway. the free periods we have aren't good for me I just don't know what to do, I go home as I don't live far however it's like being a yoyo sometimes , will I get used to it? are these courses as bad as people make it out? will I cope, it's really stressing me out at the minute for the past 4 weeks in fact.
Allons y Alonso
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hasan167)
I've just started at my sixth form 4th week this week, I'm doing maths business and law
I got at Gcse
Maths 6
english 7
science 5/5
and all my others pathways were ranging from 4-6 . no fails. I didn't revise for my GCSEs one bit I didn't really care to be honest as I felt I could do without. A levels and college life has been a big shock to my system, I'm not saying it's difficult e.g. the work however what I've heard is Law OCR is hard and there's tons of workload I feel I'll struggle, maths wow I've heard nothing but horror, and business is an easy A level in my eyes its something that clicks with me anyway. the free periods we have aren't good for me I just don't know what to do, I go home as I don't live far however it's like being a yoyo sometimes , will I get used to it? are these courses as bad as people make it out? will I cope, it's really stressing me out at the minute for the past 4 weeks in fact.
Hey, I'm in the same boat as you (just started 3 weeks ago) and on the stress front, my advice would be to find a productive style of work for your free periods. I always get really frustrated and stressed with myself when I feel I'm not making progress, so to combat this I do something I know will make me feel like I've done some good work. E.g Further maths practice questions or physics flash cards.

You'll get into the routine eventually. Don't forget you've got two years to adapt to the courses and workload - it's only week 4!

Good luck with everything and hope this helped!
Hasan167
Rep:
?
(Original post by Allons y Alonso)
Hey, I'm in the same boat as you (just started 3 weeks ago) and on the stress front, my advice would be to find a productive style of work for your free periods. I always get really frustrated and stressed with myself when I feel I'm not making progress, so to combat this I do something I know will make me feel like I've done some good work. E.g Further maths practice questions or physics flash cards.

You'll get into the routine eventually. Don't forget you've got two years to adapt to the courses and workload - it's only week 4!

are you doing maths? I'm not the revision type of I'm honest, what grade would I get with the bare minimum of classwork 100% homework 100% revision when exams come up
Hasan167
Rep:
?

and the frees! revision in your first few week what am I supposed to revise lol😂
Allons y Alonso
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
and the frees! revision in your first few week what am I supposed to revise lol😂
Okay fair enough on the revision front xD. When I say revision, I mean re-writing class notes, doing practice questions (especially for maths - which I am doing btw), or reading ahead (maybe also taking notes - especially for heavy subjects like law).

In terms of only doing class and home-work, I would strongly discourage doing that . The genral advice is 1 hour in school, one hour out - that's what I do anyways xD.
Hasan167
Rep:
?
Okay fair enough on the revision front xD. When I say revision, I mean re-writing class notes, doing practice questions (especially for maths - which I am doing btw), or reading ahead (maybe also taking notes - especially for heavy subjects like law).

In terms of only doing class and home-work, I would strongly discourage doing that . The genral advice is 1 hour in school, one hour out - that's what I do anyways xD.
what did you get at gcse? and what are u expecting to get from maths
Allons y Alonso
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what did you get at gcse? and what are u expecting to get from maths
9 at GCSE, hopefully A* at A-level but it's still early days xD
Hasan167
Rep:
?
9 at GCSE, hopefully A* at A-level but it's still early days xD
did u try hard? I didn't and got a 6 went in the exam blind lol
Allons y Alonso
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
did u try hard? I didn't and got a 6 went in the exam blind lol
I tried immensely hard xD - I'm not naturally very good at maths.
Hasan167
Rep:
?
I tried immensely hard xD - I'm not naturally very good at maths.
would you say I am? also can I get a C or B? without loads of revision only revising before exams like a few days,
Cloudy26
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If u do all your homework and maybe take an hour out for each subject a week to go over things u don’t understand or just consolidate and revise u will be fine. It’s not easy starting sixth form but if u will stay on top of your work it will make you a lot more comfortable
Hasan167
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cloudy26)
If u do all your homework and maybe take an hour out for each subject a week to go over things u don’t understand or just consolidate and revise u will be fine. It’s not easy starting sixth form but if u will stay on top of your work it will make you a lot more comfortable
I get you so homework and pay attention in lesson I should be getting a B or C I'm happy with those grades I don't want to be astudy freak tbh
Hasan167
Rep:
?
anybody else got anything for me ?
mpaprika
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I took maths as well even though I got an A* and I'm finding it incredibly hard. Over the course of y11 and y10 I never got an A* and the highest was a low A, so that's probably why I'm struggling so much
Hasan167
Rep:
?
(Original post by mpaprika)
I took maths as well even though I got an A* and I'm finding it incredibly hard. Over the course of y11 and y10 I never got an A* and the highest was a low A, so that's probably why I'm struggling so much
so u got a 7 I got a 6 without try
Hasan167
Rep:
?
help
mpaprika
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
so u got a 7 I got a 6 without try
no, I got an A*. The highest you can get is an A* because I do wjec which still uses the A*-U grades
Hasan167
Rep:
?
(Original post by mpaprika)
no, I got an A*. The highest you can get is an A* because I do wjec which still uses the A*-U grades
wow an a* did u try hard?
Hasan167
Rep:
?
anyone else offer me some advice please
Hasan167
Rep:
?
had my maths lesson today again, I kept up quite well with those that have grade 8/9s but hey it's probably gonna get harder
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (412)
56.36%
I don't have everything I need (319)
43.64%

Watched Threads