The Student Room Group

Is it weird to ask for someone’s Instagram after briefly talking?

Hi guys so i’m in Uni and what I talk to someone outside a lecture or in the lecture. I normally will forget there names and probably won’t speak to them again. But if I had there instagram accounts added I would remember there names and will most likely talk to them again. So if I have spoken to you for about 10-20mins is it weird for me to ask for you instagrams or am I just overthinking things?
I'd find it a bit odd if someone asked for mine after that long, but maybe worth a shot if chances are u won't speak to them again??
Reply 2
Just do it, it shows interest in the person
But usually I’d probably just try and like make a mental note of their name and try find them on Facebook or something
its actually not, i started a new school, and people have done this to me, i don't find it weird at all, its actually nice bc it shows they want to be friends w u
Reply 4
Original post by sedentary
I'd find it a bit odd if someone asked for mine after that long, but maybe worth a shot if chances are u won't speak to them again??

The problem I have is i’m awful with names and will most likely forget the name unless it’s a common name. But for some reason when I see it on instagram I will remember it no problem. Maybe I just get nervous sometimes when talking to new people and just forget details which is annoying
Reply 5
Original post by MaliciousFlower
its actually not, i started a new school, and people have done this to me, i don't find it weird at all, its actually nice bc it shows they want to be friends w u

Thank you, I am awful with names when someone tell me but seeing it on Instagram or something allows me to remember it a lot better along with the face
Reply 6
Original post by fefssdf
But usually I’d probably just try and like make a mental note of their name and try find them on Facebook or something

Yeah I am awful with names when talking to someone for a first time. Probably because I get nervous and forget details. But seeing them on social media helps me remember it perfectly
Reply 7
Original post by fefssdf

Yeah I am awful with names when talking to someone for a first time. Probably because I get nervous and forget details. But seeing them on social media helps me remember it perfectly
Reply 8
Ah thanks. I’m really happy you cleared that up that’s it’s not very personal. I was worried that 8 would be coming off to personal which is fine.
I've witnessed it happening today. A group chat of freshers that I'm in have started sharing their instagram handles to each other for follows because they're going to be in the same lectures for the next three years so they may as well get to know them. :smile:
Someone actually did this to me the other day...
I almost laughed in their face because i suffer from crippling depression have no friends or social media and I watch anime all day.

Edit:
It was on my first day of uni at enrolment.
Original post by Personinsertname
Someone actually did this to me the other day...
I almost laughed in their face because i suffer from crippling depression have no friends or social media and I watch anime all day.

Edit:
It was on my first day of uni at enrolment.

Did you accept the offer? :smile:
Their* name
Original post by 04MR17
Did you accept the offer? :smile:

No sadly.
We are in the same department but slightly different subjects.

We will probably see each other again but if we dont so what?
I got to talk to someone nice for a while when I was queuing and not look too awkward by myself.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply