The Student Room Group

Cambridge English 2020 Grades

Hi so dilemma :/// I'm currently predicted an A*AB (hopefully A*AA if my sociology teacher decides to put it up) but if not are my chances slim? I already paid for my ELAT and I feel like if my personal statement is good maybe then I might be better off? considering a lot went on last year outside of school so I think my tutor will write that but any help? or tips? I'm confused and upset and I am hellbent on Cambridge
Reply 1
Unfortunately your chances will be very slim if your indicators do not increase to A*AA, which is their typical entry requirement. If you do get an increase in indicator grades, your chances will improve, and provided your personal statement is good, you'll probably get an interview. English is 4 applicants per place, so not as competitive as many other subjects - it's just that you're competing with very talented individuals.

I applied (albeit for a different course) last year, and was told that the results of your exam in October are not currently taken into account - they're building up a database so that in the future they will be able to judge who is likely to be of the right callibre.

It may be worth looking at entry statistics for each college - which accept more English students? Which accept more students from your background (e.g. some take more grammar school students, others take more comprehensive students etc.)? Just to maximise your chances. This information is available on the Cambridge website under admissions, iirc.

If you've got a lot of extracurricular stuff, that's great, and there're plenty of good guides to writing personal statements on here. Don't get too hellbent on Cambridge though, or it'll be more disappointing if you are rejected - I'm speaking from experience here.

Best of luck.
Original post by Trillo
Unfortunately your chances will be very slim if your indicators do not increase to A*AA, which is their typical entry requirement. If you do get an increase in indicator grades, your chances will improve, and provided your personal statement is good, you'll probably get an interview. English is 4 applicants per place, so not as competitive as many other subjects - it's just that you're competing with very talented individuals.

I applied (albeit for a different course) last year, and was told that the results of your exam in October are not currently taken into account - they're building up a database so that in the future they will be able to judge who is likely to be of the right callibre.

It may be worth looking at entry statistics for each college - which accept more English students? Which accept more students from your background (e.g. some take more grammar school students, others take more comprehensive students etc.)? Just to maximise your chances. This information is available on the Cambridge website under admissions, iirc.

If you've got a lot of extracurricular stuff, that's great, and there're plenty of good guides to writing personal statements on here. Don't get too hellbent on Cambridge though, or it'll be more disappointing if you are rejected - I'm speaking from experience here.

Best of luck.

Oxbridge doesn't care about extracurricular activities. It's only after the most prodigious academic talent the world has to offer. Like me; I got straight A*s. Honestly, you're giving this person false hope If you think A*AA is Cambridge material.
Reply 3
Original post by Trust Orang
Oxbridge doesn't care about extracurricular activities. It's only after the most prodigious academic talent the world has to offer. Like me; I got straight A*s. Honestly, you're giving this person false hope If you think A*AA is Cambridge material.

It really depends on the course. I know people who got in with those grades, I know some who didn't get interviews. If they were applying for chemistry or law or something, I wouldn't be saying this. Phrasing regarding extra-curricular activities probably wasn't great, I agree - I mean more like reading around your subject than playing tennis or something.
Original post by Trillo
It really depends on the course. I know people who got in with those grades, I know some who didn't get interviews. If they were applying for chemistry or law or something, I wouldn't be saying this. Phrasing regarding extra-curricular activities probably wasn't great, I agree - I mean more like reading around your subject than playing tennis or something.

Who do you think you are, staying calm like this? I agree with those corrections, actually. I agree English is a subject that might be negotiated for, given proper familiarity with a given genre of literature. However, nobody cares if your buddies "got in", you're not impressing anyone trying to name drop our future PM. One of your friends likely to be the future PM? Hmm? I wouldn't have guessed given the social circle he hypothetically ran with; it's creme de la creme here at the elite universities. They wouldn't cavort about with the perimeter coagulations like you. :angry:
Original post by Trillo

Best of luck.

OP, please ignore this! You don't need to be predicted exactly the requirements as we know how unreliable predictions can be. We'll form our own opinion of your likely performance from your application, including the teachers' reference, and from the ELAT.

There is no right way to choose a college but there are some wrong ways and looking at statistics is one. Just because a college may have taken more grammar school students (for example) doesn't mean they prefer them or rank them more highly, it is probably just that they had more applicants from this background. It also ignores the fact that if this were a good idea, then every other applicant would be doing the same.

If you feel like your education has been affected by circumstances outside your control then please consider asking a relevant professional to submit an extenuating circumstances form.

For English, the only supercurricular we expect is reading - do you like reading? A good tip is to ensure your reading has both breadth (read plays, poetry, novels and from a range of authors/backgrounds/periods) and depth (you've read a number of things by the same author or from the same time). It is a good idea to write down some quick notes about your opinion of a piece when you've finished - did you like it? why? what did/didn't work? did it remind you of anything else? how does it compare to other works? etc.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
thank u so much!!! funnily enough peterhouse was actually the college i wanted to apply to as the campus was so beautiful and i felt like it would be the perfect college for me !! hope to hear from u soon again
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
OP, please ignore this! You don't need to be predicted exactly the requirements as we know how unreliable predictions can be. We'll form our own opinion of your likely performance from your application, including the teachers' reference, and from the ELAT.

There is no right way to choose a college but there are some wrong ways and looking at statistics is one. Just because a college may have taken more grammar school students (for example) doesn't mean they prefer them or rank them more highly, it is probably just that they had more applicants from this background. It also ignores the fact that if this were a good idea, then every other applicant would be doing the same.

If you feel like your education has been affected by circumstances outside your control then please consider asking a relevant professional to submit an extenuating circumstances form.

For English, the only supercurricular we expect is reading - do you like reading? A good tip is to ensure your reading has both breadth (read plays, poetry, novels and from a range of authors/backgrounds/periods) and depth (you've read a number of things by the same author or from the same time). It is a good idea to write down some quick notes about your opinion of a piece when you've finished - did you like it? why? what did/didn't work? did it remind you of anything else? how does it compare to other works? etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending