The Student Room Group

Are you favoured if you apply with achieved grades rather than oredicted

Say I took a gap year and applied to medicine in the next application cycle and by that time I achieved 3A* and bio, Chem and maths. Would applying with those achieved grades put at an advantage in the application process or will it be looked on the same as an A*A*A* prediction from another applicant?
Yes because people applying with predicted grades receive (in most cases) a conditional offer. if you are applying with achieved grades (and your grades meet/are higher than the requirements + you’ve passed any other exams/interviews) you will be made an unconditional offer, as you will have already met the requirements needed for the course.
Well I mean it depends on the strength of your application otherwise, but as a general rule, 3 A*s in the hand are worth 6 in the bush.
Reply 3
Original post by Ectover_
Say I took a gap year and applied to medicine in the next application cycle and by that time I achieved 3A* and bio, Chem and maths. Would applying with those achieved grades put at an advantage in the application process or will it be looked on the same as an A*A*A* prediction from another applicant?

It varies from med school to med school.
Cardiff (add points from achieved A levels to GCSE points)
Aberdeen (gives extra points for achieved A levels)
Liverpool (say "Applicants with a minimum of 12 points at GCSE may be considered if, at the time of application, they have achieved AAA in Biology, Chemistry and 1 other academic A2 level at a single sitting")
Leicester will actually interview anyone with achieved grades who meets minimum requirements, stating " Provided you have attained at least grade B at first sitting in the 4 mandatory GCSE subjects, plus AAA or A*AB at A level (or IB 36 or more including 666 or 7,6,51 in HL subjects) in our required subjects within 2 years of your GCSEs, AND have a total UCAT score in the top 7 deciles with an SJT Band 1-3 we will automatically invite you to interview provided you are within 2 years of leaving school.”
Achieved grades bumps you up one tier in Exeter's scoring system compared to the same grades predicted

The only other med schools using A levels to select are Edinburgh, Dundee, Barts (they do not differentiate) and Cambridge (who use all aspects of an application to assess)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending