The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

Official Staffordshire University Applicants Thread 2020

Scroll to see replies

Original post by keiti-tenshi
Hi, I'm starting at Staffs in September. I'll be doing social work and was wondering if any other social work students wanted to start a groupchat or facebook group. Or if anyone staying in the leek road houses wanted to start a groupchat too :smile:

Hi @keiti-tenshi
We will be setting up a dedicated Facebook group for all new students starting in September. Once students from the same halls or courses have connected, they tend to get together in their own groups. Details will be going to everyone soon.
Hope this helps,
^Shaun
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Original post by chloealcott
HI, I'm starting at staffs in September, I got an unconditional offer for the accelerated law degree. I was wondering when we'f find out about any textbooks we need

Hi @chloealcott
We will be producing a website for new students that will give information such as reading lists. This usually goes up in time for the summer break. If you want to get going sooner you can try contacting the Course Leader, Aidan Flynn - https://www.staffs.ac.uk/staff/profiles/amf1.jsp who I'm sure will be happy to advise.
Hope this helps,
Best wishes,
^Shaun
Original post by 3elturn
Hi. I’m just wondering if anyone knows what transport is like around the uni and into stoke centre. I’m debating whether its worth taking my car or not as insurance could be more expensive.

Hi @3elturn

If you are studying at the Stoke-on-Trent campus you are well placed for public transport. Stoke train station is right in the centre between the Leek Road and College Road sites. There are many regular buses from the station linking you to the main city centre in Hanley. Stoke town centre is only a 10 minute walk from campus so easily accessible. A car is useful if you want to get out to the Staffordshire countryside, where public transport links are less regular.
It's worth considering that there is a charge for keeping your car on campus, so if you think you can get by without a car, it's definitely worth considering.

Hope this helps,

^Shaun

Parking information: https://www.staffs.ac.uk/about/how-to-find-us
Hi, I've been accepted to animation foundation year. Where can I find details on what I should budget for materials?
Original post by Emeraldo
Hi, I've been accepted to animation foundation year. Where can I find details on what I should budget for materials?

Hi @Emeraldo

That's great news - we're just looking forward to you joining us in September :smile:

I've dropped the course leader your query - I'll pop his response back on here when I receive it.

Thanks

Amy
Original post by Emeraldo

Hi again @Emeraldo

I've had a reply from our course leader for Animation and also the Foundation year leader:

"The budget for materials really depends on the pathway they select. But in most chases we try to tailor our teaching to minimise the amount of materials students need to buy themselves, and currently are able to provide drawing materials and some making materials for the course required components and exercises.

However individual students do choose to make individual investments based on their developing and individual needs, outside of what is being asked of them by the course. There may also be the odd occasion where students will need to buy materials but this is kept to a minimum where possible. We do ask that the students bring a sketch book."

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Amy
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hi @chloealcott
We will be producing a website for new students that will give information such as reading lists. This usually goes up in time for the summer break. If you want to get going sooner you can try contacting the Course Leader, Aidan Flynn - https://www.staffs.ac.uk/staff/profiles/amf1.jsp who I'm sure will be happy to advise.
Hope this helps,
Best wishes,
^Shaun

Hi Chloe,

Quick update on your request. We've been sent the reading information for Law Accelerated.

Thanks ^Shaun
Hi again @Emeraldo

I've had a reply from our course leader for Animation and also the Foundation year leader:

Thank you, much appreciated!!
Can anyone tell me how often groupwork is on the esports course and how groups are decided? That's something that causes anxiety
Original post by Anonymous
Can anyone tell me how often groupwork is on the esports course and how groups are decided? That's something that causes anxiety

Hi there,

I've just had a response to your query from one of the esports lecturers:

"There is a mix between self assessments in the form of:
- Essays
- Reports
- Reflective logs.

Alongside group/team assessments such as:
- Group Presentations
- Planning and Executing your own esport events
- Planning and Producing your own Live Esports Broadcast Production

In regards to how students are assigned into groups, it really depends on the module leader for said modules. For example for my modules I give students the option of choice at first so people can work with their friends/people prefer to work with. This usually gives the best experience based off the feedback we are given.

Other lecturers might prefer a different method such as asking which students prefer to work on a specific esports title and those who choose the same are put into the same group to work in. Any students remaining are either put together or funnelled into existing groups.

I don't believe any lecturers assign groups forcefully by random or by giving students numbers. However we make it clear from the start and emphasise the importance of group work as working within the esports industry (as with most industries in the work place). You will often be working in teams and with different departments. Also most of the time you won't have the luxury of choosing who you work with so it is expected for students to be treated as adults and professionals and set any differences aside for the work when it's needed.

We also cater towards students who might not feel comfortable working within groups. We do feel it's important to break out of this shell for the reason above but we avoid being too forceful with it. Hence why giving students the option is important to me personally. Students will also have access to a Personal Tutor to discuss any discomfort such as group work or anxiety experiences during their time studying on the course."

In addition to support from your personal tutor for your anxiety, we also have the Student Hub - which is our one stop shop for all student services. You can find out more here.

I hope that helps but please give me a shout if we can help with anything else.

Thanks

Amy
Hi there,

I've just had a response to your query from one of the esports lecturers:

"There is a mix between self assessments in the form of:
- Essays
- Reports
- Reflective logs.

Alongside group/team assessments such as:
- Group Presentations
- Planning and Executing your own esport events
- Planning and Producing your own Live Esports Broadcast Production

In regards to how students are assigned into groups, it really depends on the module leader for said modules. For example for my modules I give students the option of choice at first so people can work with their friends/people prefer to work with. This usually gives the best experience based off the feedback we are given.

Other lecturers might prefer a different method such as asking which students prefer to work on a specific esports title and those who choose the same are put into the same group to work in. Any students remaining are either put together or funnelled into existing groups.

I don't believe any lecturers assign groups forcefully by random or by giving students numbers. However we make it clear from the start and emphasise the importance of group work as working within the esports industry (as with most industries in the work place). You will often be working in teams and with different departments. Also most of the time you won't have the luxury of choosing who you work with so it is expected for students to be treated as adults and professionals and set any differences aside for the work when it's needed.

We also cater towards students who might not feel comfortable working within groups. We do feel it's important to break out of this shell for the reason above but we avoid being too forceful with it. Hence why giving students the option is important to me personally. Students will also have access to a Personal Tutor to discuss any discomfort such as group work or anxiety experiences during their time studying on the course."

In addition to support from your personal tutor for your anxiety, we also have the Student Hub - which is our one stop shop for all student services. You can find out more here.

I hope that helps but please give me a shout if we can help with anything else.

Thanks

Amy

How do personal tutors work?
Original post by Anonymous
How do personal tutors work?

Hey,

So... every student is allocated a personal tutor, who would remain their personal tutor for the duration of their time as a student. They will want to meet with you at least once per semester and will be available for more if you need them. They are your point of contact for any worries or concerns related to academic life or general student life. They will signpost students to the people and services for specific issues, so they will be there for students whatever the problem. They will take an interest in your academic progression and spur you on when you need that elbow in the ribs and will be a shoulder to cry on when you didn't get the result you hoped for, along with helping you to understand why that happened. Some students just have a regular meeting with them once per semester, others rely on them heavily for support and guidance :smile:

Hope this helps! Give us a shout if you need any more info.

Thanks
HB
Original post by Lia_Liburd
@Michelle Allen Hey, I'm on the children nursing course as well (blackheath campus) x

Aww Brilliant we will be in the same Cohort then 😊😊😊 I’ve spoken to about 5 ladies now who have all had offers and will be studying in the same cohort xx
I am planning on starting MSci Biomed(C900) in 2020 at Staffordshire University. Anyone here doing the same course? Couldn't go to the offer holder's day so hope find someone here!!
Hi!! I was wondering if I could be added the a Snapchat gc, my sc is h.gxdridge
Original post by RionaDavid
I am planning on starting MSci Biomed(C900) in 2020 at Staffordshire University. Anyone here doing the same course? Couldn't go to the offer holder's day so hope find someone here!!

I'm doing Biomedical as well, and I know of at least 6 others who are too.
There are a few group chats going atm
Someone invite me to a group chat so I can meet new friends for staffordshire University. Thanks. SC: centralalien
Wait, there's a group chat?
Original post by Initiatedspoon
I'm doing Biomedical as well, and I know of at least 6 others who are too.
There are a few group chats going atm

Wait! really?
do u mind adding me.. I am terrified to start uni, I literally know no-one...
I am Riona btw.:smile:
Original post by RionaDavid
Wait! really?
do u mind adding me.. I am terrified to start uni, I literally know no-one...
I am Riona btw.:smile:

I've pm'd you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending