Thinking about Uni

Watch this thread
JohnathonAB
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey everyone, I am studying engineering at college and am in my first year, and want to go to university afterwards, however I need some help. I want to study abroad, so is there anyone who has done this and how did you do it? What are the things you wish you had known before studying abroad?
And
What uni’s are best (in the UK) for being able to do a swap year and study in the USA for a year
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JohnathonAB)
Hey everyone, I am studying engineering at college and am in my first year, and want to go to university afterwards, however I need some help. I want to study abroad, so is there anyone who has done this and how did you do it? What are the things you wish you had known before studying abroad?
And
What uni’s are best (in the UK) for being able to do a swap year and study in the USA for a year
When you say you are studying engineering at college does this mean BTEC?

Study abroad is offered at almost all big UK unis but normally requires you to do an extra year in engineering as the core program is non-negotiable for accreditation so a BEng would be 4 years and an MEng 5 years. Also more people do a placement year, as it is better for their resume, but year abroad is very possible. You will have to look at every uni individually to see potential destinations maybe call/email if you can't find out online the partner institutes they offer.

In terms of the best UK unis for engineering, if you do a BTEC, the most competitive ones are off the table im afraid, BTECs don't teach the required math required at the most competitive unis require. That said many Unis still offer BTEC route for engineering degrees, Loughborough for example, I would still mention if you do a BTEC i recommend spending some time learning the maths in both maths A-level and further maths A-level before you go to Uni as you will have to learn it there anyway, and its often an area some students who haven't done these A-levels struggle with.
JohnathonAB
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you for the reply and for the information

I am studying the level 3 extended Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing engineering
it has both math and further math included in the course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (263)
42.56%
The paper was reasonable (257)
41.59%
Not feeling great about that exam... (53)
8.58%
It was TERRIBLE (45)
7.28%

Watched Threads