Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sloaney87)
    By intelligent i mean doing well in school/ a-levels and gcses. (Although some people maybe not agree that this shows intelligence)

Looking around school, people in the further maths groups, or physics, or just generally the people who do well in their public exams, usually are ugly and even fat.

Maybe its to do with the fact that..someone better looking would have more of a social life, thus spend more time studying?

Im not saying i agree but

Discuss.
    thats not true at all

ReputationRep:
    By intelligent i mean doing well in school/ a-levels and gcses. (Although some people maybe not agree that this shows intelligence)

Looking around school, people in the further maths groups, or physics, or just generally the people who do well in their public exams, usually are ugly and even fat.

Maybe its to do with the fact that..someone better looking would have more of a social life, thus spend more time studying?

Discuss.
    not where i come from...... people who don't do well are normally ugly and then slap on 2 layers of foundation to hide the spots.......and not mention they're normally really scruffy..........which makes them ugly in the first place, cos everyones handsome in their own way! on the other hand.... smart ppl are generally well dressed which makes them look good

ReputationRep:
    yes, and smart people tend to have smart parents so are of a higher socioeconomic group so can afford to dress better than stupid people who wana work in tesco

ReputationRep:
    yeh but dressing smartly doesn't mean wearing expensive clothes .......... but then again expensive clothes do look slightly better than cheap ones!

I won't find a guy attractive unless they're intelligent. Intelligence is all part of physical attraction for me. If someone looks totally gormless, that's such a turn off.

ReputationRep:
    it's wierd, but I'm quite swayed upon the argument that ugly ppl are more intelligent. (sorry if this offends anyone!) Of course this doesn't apply to absolutley everyone. But those people who are typically gorgeous are mostly average and not intellectually clever.

ReputationRep:
    Hey?!
    I resent that!!!

(just kidding...) My best friend is gorgeous and really smart too... I hate her (hey perhaps this should go on the thread about nasty girls instead)

ReputationRep:

Discuss.
    Should we therefore hypothesise that beautiful looking people are thick?

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with this.
    Some of the smartest people at my school are the ones that are the least ugly. I think the smart people are the ones who genarally look the best.
    The ugly people at my school are the ones who are the lowest in the intelligent sclaes.
    Of course there are always going to be ugly smart people and good looking dumb people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    not where i come from...... people who don't do well are normally ugly and then slap on 2 layers of foundation to hide the spots.......and not mention they're normally really scruffy..........which makes them ugly in the first place, cos everyones handsome in their own way! on the other hand.... smart ppl are generally well dressed which makes them look good
    The ones who do well don't wear as much make up as the people who don't do well, becaus ethey dont usually need all the make up.

The ones who aren't so bright usually wear so much eyeliner and foundatuon that they make themselves ugly

ReputationRep:
    Let's put an end to this debate:

The 50 Most Beautiful People at Yale (Dec 2004)

(It takes a while to download - especially on dial-up)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    It's what I like to call the Quantitative Theory of Character Componency - ie. there can only be a constant amount of positive dispositional traits in one person. A palliation of one trait will result in an upsurge of another. Therefore, one can not be beautiful and intelligent. One can be average in both areas- that will balance, but in order to excel at one, the other must suffer to retain constancy. It's all common sense.
    Methinks you play too many RPGS...j/k

Nah, of course things will be in proportion, or otherwise the question into the existence of perfection would be even more complicated...but then again, it can't be clean cut. It is subjective, luckily...everyone has a chance to be pretty through someone's eyes.
    And IQ isn't the best way to measure intelligence, or university places for that matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    It's what I like to call the Quantitative Theory of Character Componency - ie. there can only be a constant amount of positive dispositional traits in one person. A palliation of one trait will result in an upsurge of another. Therefore, one can not be beautiful and intelligent. One can be average in both areas- that will balance, but in order to excel at one, the other must suffer to retain constancy. It's all common sense.
    This theory may well be true, but physical beauty isn't a character trait is it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm fat, short, spotty, greasy, speccy with an overbite and a lisp and serious deficiencies in my social skills. But Fluke's Law dictated that I got an offer from Oxford.

Exception: Natalie Portman went to Harvard, I believe. Reese Witherspoon (debatably attractive) went to Stanford for a while. Numerous other examples (Hugh Grant Oxford, Will Smith MIT -- sort of) of film stars with good educations.

ReputationRep:
    Ive gotta agree Physics people are not nearly as attractive as cool people.. and i know you might say well theres this really fit person in my class thats clever, well obv your going to remember them cos a)your either jelous
    or b)theyre going to stick in your mind
    i personally believe that there are some really fit people out there that are intelligent but theyre normally the really stuck up 1s!!! other than that every 1 else is ugly!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    i disagree!
    its just random coincidences ! you get all sorts of people in this world, just caz your ugly and fat doesnt mean u dont hv no social life

ReputationRep:
    dude,,, thats completely outrageous mannn,, the most intelligent people in the are so beautiful..however less so nice looking ones spend more time in their bedrooms and dont get as much sunlight,, so they look more hideous...

ReputationRep:
    A bit like saying that people who make generalisations are stupid. Might be true... might not...

Aitch

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.