withered.rose
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thread for Advanced Higher Art & Design 2019/20. How’s everyone enjoying the course so far this year? Feel free to post any questions or just general chat about the course below!! 😊
Last edited by withered.rose; 2 years ago
AC79
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Quite good! Wbu? I didn't actually do Higher I've only done Nat 5 so very different to what I know but I quite enjoy the freedom although it can be a bit difficult for ideas sometimes. I'm doing expressive, wbu?
cocoxoxo
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
What did you guys pick as your themes?
AC79
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cocoxoxo)
What did you guys pick as your themes?
Global warming/ climate change - what about you?
withered.rose
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How are you both finding it now the country is in lockdown
AC79
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by withered.rose)
How are you both finding it now the country is in lockdown
I mean not much we can do. I still have to work but asides from that I’ll do some art when I’m in the mood. Teachers don’t want anymore of our stuff so not like I can do coursework either. In a weird phase of I feel I need to be doing some sort of work but there’s nothing I can actually do that’ll contribute to anything. How are you?
withered.rose
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by AC79)
I mean not much we can do. I still have to work but asides from that I’ll do some art when I’m in the mood. Teachers don’t want anymore of our stuff so not like I can do coursework either. In a weird phase of I feel I need to be doing some sort of work but there’s nothing I can actually do that’ll contribute to anything. How are you?
Two weeks later and I am just now noticing this reply!! My teacher has told the class to continue working to complete our folios, I am not really sure how everyone else is getting along holistically with their folios but I am continuing to work on it (until the deadline of SQA deadlines as instructed by my teacher). But every school is different I suppose, just depends how much had been completed by the introduction of lockdown, we were ok for work and we had already written the essay in case the lockdown happened. Let’s keep our fingers crossed for the SQA’s results
AC79
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by withered.rose)
Two weeks later and I am just now noticing this reply!! My teacher has told the class to continue working to complete our folios, I am not really sure how everyone else is getting along holistically with their folios but I am continuing to work on it (until the deadline of SQA deadlines as instructed by my teacher). But every school is different I suppose, just depends how much had been completed by the introduction of lockdown, we were ok for work and we had already written the essay in case the lockdown happened. Let’s keep our fingers crossed for the SQA’s results
Aw no worries! Oh very different then, think ours have already submitted their estimates to our head just waiting for them to then put them to SQA. I had drafted my essay a lot and just had one more to do as the final one so it was quite obvious what quality it would turn out to be (this is what my teachers said btw) and I was pretty far ahead with like 12 sheets plus sketchbook and I had just started another one (now sitting in my room unfinished) and potentially a second if I had the time. But there was others in my class not quite as ahead so we will see how everything turns out they probably really wanted to get more done like there’s a girl I’m friends with was aiming for an A but they had but her working at a B so she was going to really push the last bit but who knows now. Just hoping what I’m graded is representative of my work as I’m a bit unsure with the system of how they’re doing it all and my teachers (pre mention of going into any lockdown and when we thought exams were still going ahead) had gone through all my stuff and created an estimate they thought I would achieve in the end for their own sort of getting to grips with what they would receive in their classes this year (?).

Art is probably the grade I care about the most this year (would probably be different if there were exams but I feel like I now have zero control and just have to trust my teachers) because of the SQA’s system it seems to get processed a few times and I feel like each time they’ll be knocking it where they can and just won’t end up as I imagined (not sure if that makes sense). I’m still concerned about my others but like I said it’s out of my control now just hope they will also take into consideration how much I improve on the final exam (where I tend to really boost my grades up).

How’s your folio coming along now? What do your teachers think?

Sorry this was quite long, went off on a wee rant!
Kay09932
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I need serious help for advanced higher art! I’m doing expressive and I’ve chosen hands as my theme . I know that’s probably the hardest thing to do but I couldn’t think of anything and I had to make a decision. I’m regretting it so much. I’m doing ageing hands and like the difference between young hands and old hands and how they act. I was supposed to start my first final but I don’t know what to do! I feel like my theme doesn’t make sense and I was going to do a really busy piece of lots of young hands doing different things for one of my finals and then for another one I would do a really still piece of old hands but I don’t know if that’s really rubbish. I’m trying to start my final of the old hands. Should I just do a painting of old hands? I don’t know if that’s really bad or what I should have them doing. I need to know what people think about it? Thank you, I hope you can help because I feel like a mess
AC79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kay09932)
I need serious help for advanced higher art! I’m doing expressive and I’ve chosen hands as my theme . I know that’s probably the hardest thing to do but I couldn’t think of anything and I had to make a decision. I’m regretting it so much. I’m doing ageing hands and like the difference between young hands and old hands and how they act. I was supposed to start my first final but I don’t know what to do! I feel like my theme doesn’t make sense and I was going to do a really busy piece of lots of young hands doing different things for one of my finals and then for another one I would do a really still piece of old hands but I don’t know if that’s really rubbish. I’m trying to start my final of the old hands. Should I just do a painting of old hands? I don’t know if that’s really bad or what I should have them doing. I need to know what people think about it? Thank you, I hope you can help because I feel like a mess
Hiya! It’s been a while since I did ADVH now so it’s possible the way things are done have changed now so I’m sorry if anything I say is no help for your like background (I’ve forgotten the word but the lead up work to your final) you could consider doing a timeline of hands through the decades or something? Like new born, 10yrs, 20yrs, 30yrs etc. Even just quick sketches with annotations to show your thought process and further consideration. As for your final, look through everything you’ve done up to this point and piece together the bits you like the most/ represent your theme best and try and create something from that. You could also have one old hand and one young hand joining/ holding hands/ touching/ reflecting, could make up a great title for it. I’m just throwing ideas around but sit and sketch out ideas (which can also be used in the lead up) and see what stands out to you the most, also talk to your teacher if you think they can help you!! Hope this was of some help, don’t hesitate if you have other questions or need more help, good luck
Kay09932
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much for replying! I’ll try doing some of that! Your advice means a lot. I’ve just taken some photos of my granny’s hands in lots of different poses that I might use for my final and thank you for the idea of the old hand and young hands reflecting, I might use as my second final!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (20)
8.77%
Okay (66)
28.95%
A bit lacking (85)
37.28%
Not good at all (57)
25%

Watched Threads