salma_aden
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
i've been told for medicine that the 2 a levels you must do to even have a chance of getting in is chem and bio, which i honestly don't mind.however, im confused at what third a level to pick.
i'm genuinely better at maths than bio which is what most teachers want me to do as that is the subject i'm most likely to get a 9 on even though i absolutely hate it. ( basically they said i should do chem + bio + maths).
^the only problem i have with that is every person that i know told me that it was a lot of work and came out with all b's so they didnt even get into med school. so, in essence, they were telling me not to do maths and just pick an easier third a level.
i've thought about doing psychology (because i'm assuming thats less work than maths).
just want to know which you think is better:
chem+bio+ maths (probably a ton of work even though chem and bio is what i want to focus on)
OR
chem +bio+psychology (which could decrease my chances of getting into med school but i could focus on chem +bio more).
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by salma_aden)
i've been told for medicine that the 2 a levels you must do to even have a chance of getting in is chem and bio, which i honestly don't mind.however, im confused at what third a level to pick.
i'm genuinely better at maths than bio which is what most teachers want me to do as that is the subject i'm most likely to get a 9 on even though i absolutely hate it. ( basically they said i should do chem + bio + maths).
^the only problem i have with that is every person that i know told me that it was a lot of work and came out with all b's so they didnt even get into med school. so, in essence, they were telling me not to do maths and just pick an easier third a level.
i've thought about doing psychology (because i'm assuming thats less work than maths).
chem+bio+ maths (probably a ton of work even though chem and bio is what i want to focus on)
OR
chem +bio+psychology (which could decrease my chances of getting into med school but i could focus on chem +bio more).
You're over-complicating this. Take biology, chemistry, and another subject you like and think you can get an A in. Psychology won't decrease your chances of getting in .

More info here:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by salma_aden)
OR
Chem+Bio+Psych wouldn't decrease your chances at all...

Universities don't care what your third subject for Medicine is as long as it's reasonably academic (which Psych is). The only university that says they have a preference for a third subject is Cambridge and they say that they prefer a third in another STEM subject, meaning that either Psych or Maths would be fine.

There aren't any soft courses and you won't get additional points or advantages for doing a third subject that's considered more traditional. People literally do their 3rd subject in a foreign language, History, English Lit, Religious Studies, Psych and etc etc. In other words, do your third subject in something that you believe you'll get an easy A or A* in.

For Medicine, they mostly care about your UKCAT/BMAT scores, personal statement, references, interview and predicted grades (as well as A levels in Chem + Bio + 1 other). That's it.
zombie2233
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
For your 3rd subject, I say you do psychology or philosophy (as ethics relates to medicine)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (140)
15.7%
Uncertainty around my education (145)
16.26%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (85)
9.53%
Isolating with family (61)
6.84%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (33)
3.7%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (78)
8.74%
Loneliness (90)
10.09%
Financial worries (38)
4.26%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (80)
8.97%
Exposure to negative news/social media (61)
6.84%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (81)
9.08%

Watched Threads