TobeNna
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Currently a 4th year Biomed student, with a good chance of getting 1:1 and currently working as a healthcare assistant, but got 2210 on my UCAT this year.
I was wondering if Aberdeen and Cardiff are the best places to apply since they don't really have a cut off for the UCAT and if anyone could give some advice as to how I could boost my application. I would greatly appreciate it.
GoldenShade
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Plymouth, Keele, Queen's Belfast
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TobeNna)
Currently a 4th year Biomed student, with a good chance of getting 1:1 and currently working as a healthcare assistant, but got 2210 on my UCAT this year.
I was wondering if Aberdeen and Cardiff are the best places to apply since they don't really have a cut off for the UCAT and if anyone could give some advice as to how I could boost my application. I would greatly appreciate it.
Post to https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5622970 which is the thread created for questions like these, this is so you get a faster reply by the experienced posters and also for future posters who may have similar stats to you.
TobeNna
Rep:
?
(Original post by GoldenShade)
Plymouth, Keele, Queen's Belfast
Thanks for getting back to me but do you think Aberdeen and Cardiff are also good places to apply as well? Are you applying to Medicine this year as well?
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This shows the lowest UCAT accepted by Aberdeen in recent years
https://www.abdn.ac.uk/smmsn/undergr...cine/ukcat.php

Cardiff only use UCAT in the case of a tiebreak

Plymouth's cut off is 597.5 for this year

QUB would be an option, they say:
"In the case of candidates with a First Class Honours degree or a PhD (plus an upper second class honours degree), a minimum of BBB at A-level or equivalent in other qualifications at first attempt will be acceptable.
Grades may be averaged but the minimum grades that can be accepted is a grade C with grade B the lowest grade acceptable for Chemistry.
Candidates must also have a relevant science background at GCSE, AS and Alevel or acceptable equivalent. This must include Chemistry and at least one other A-level from Biology, Mathematics and Physics. AS-level Biology Grade B (or acceptable equivalent) and Physics or Double Award Science and Mathematics to GCSE are required.
For graduates (and those applying in the final year of their degree), at Stage 1, 36 points are currently allocated for meeting the criteria required to qualify for consideration and points then awarded according to performance in UCAT (as indicated above) to give an overall score for short listing purposes."

So provided you meet their other requirements you should make the cut off

Keele exclude the bottom 2 deciles of UCAT and this is likely to be where you fall, I'm afraid.
TobeNna
Rep:
?
(Original post by GANFYD)
This shows the lowest UCAT accepted by Aberdeen in recent years
https://www.abdn.ac.uk/smmsn/undergr...cine/ukcat.php

Cardiff only use UCAT in the case of a tiebreak

Plymouth's cut off is 597.5 for this year

QUB would be an option, they say:
"In the case of candidates with a First Class Honours degree or a PhD (plus an upper second class honours degree), a minimum of BBB at A-level or equivalent in other qualifications at first attempt will be acceptable.
Grades may be averaged but the minimum grades that can be accepted is a grade C with grade B the lowest grade acceptable for Chemistry.
Candidates must also have a relevant science background at GCSE, AS and Alevel or acceptable equivalent. This must include Chemistry and at least one other A-level from Biology, Mathematics and Physics. AS-level Biology Grade B (or acceptable equivalent) and Physics or Double Award Science and Mathematics to GCSE are required.
For graduates (and those applying in the final year of their degree), at Stage 1, 36 points are currently allocated for meeting the criteria required to qualify for consideration and points then awarded according to performance in UCAT (as indicated above) to give an overall score for short listing purposes."

So provided you meet their other requirements you should make the cut off

Keele exclude the bottom 2 deciles of UCAT and this is likely to be where you fall, I'm afraid.
Thank you so much for the feedback and advice, this has been very helpful . So I am thinking of applying for Aberdeen, Cardiff and QUB so far. I also heard that some Graduate entry medical courses also accept the UCAT and was wondering if this would be a good route to take?
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much for the feedback and advice, this has been very helpful . So I am thinking of applying for Aberdeen, Cardiff and QUB so far. I also heard that some Graduate entry medical courses also accept the UCAT and was wondering if this would be a good route to take?
Did you look at the Aberdeen data? Their lowest UCAT scores have always been considerably higher than your score, I'm afraid.
GEM needs higher UCAT scores than standard entry, on the whole
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (135)
28.48%
No - I have already returned home (64)
13.5%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.62%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.49%
No - I live at home during term anyway (137)
28.9%

Watched Threads