Turn on thread page Beta

an amazing deal it would be criminal to keep you in the dark about watch

ReputationRep:
    halt mods, with your powers of deletion (a word?), i'm not trying to sell anyone anything, i'm just telling them of a rather stupidly good deal which will doubtless benefit them in the christmas period.

our good friends down at superdrug (im not affiliated with them i hasten to add) are offering threepay handsets with mp3, bluetooth, video streaming, twin cameras and gps for £45 each and that's with £15 credit.

threepay is a rather twisted pay as you go system: as i understand it you have to top up a minimum of £15 a month. obviously this is scarily similar to contract which will doubtless have most of you running for the hills. as superdrug sells them, these phones are locked to the three network, meaning they can only take three brand simcards. but halt!!

phunlock.com advertises a service of unlocking these handsets for a fee of £5, meaning you can use any simcard in them. so for £50 you can have a rather excellent handset with £15 to piddle away on wap downloads n stuff and then you bung in your old simcard and carry on with a phone with all the capabilities i have illustrated above.

to be missed? i think not.

ReputationRep:
    But aren't 3G really rubbish, as in its hard to get video calls going wtc??

ReputationRep:
    oooooooh :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saagar)
    argh, you miss the point!! you don't need to stick with 3 at all and you dont have to use the 3g capabilities you know!!

ReputationRep:
    dodgy brick handsets? three.co.uk (official site) have them 'from £45'

ReputationRep:
    If i had 3g i wouldn't even bother with Video Calls, tbh who would?

btw, i've seen them 4 £30 somewhere

ReputationRep:
    Bear in mind that 3 lock some phones to 3G communication too. That means that you can't just put a regular GSM (O2, Vodafone, Orange etc..) sim card in them as it won't work, even if the phone is unlocked (which can be hard to do for some of the 3g phones which aren't nokia, and some can only be done by 3 who charge upwards of £60 if i remember rightly). That is what i am led to believe anyway, for example the Nokia 7600 menu option to change between 3g/gsm has been removed as part of the 3 locking thingy.

I'm not saying it won't work, but i'm not 100% sure that it will....good if it does tho!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    argh, you miss the point!! you don't need to stick with 3 at all and you dont have to use the 3g capabilities you know!!
    Doh!! Yeah I completely gorgot about that! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    dodgy brick handsets? three.co.uk (official site) have them 'from £45'
    no theyre not bricks, they are average sized phones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.R)
    Bear in mind that 3 lock some phones to 3G communication too. That means that you can't just put a regular GSM (O2, Vodafone, Orange etc..) sim card in them as it won't work, even if the phone is unlocked (which can be hard to do for some of the 3g phones which aren't nokia, and some can only be done by 3 who charge upwards of £60 if i remember rightly). That is what i am led to believe anyway, for example the Nokia 7600 menu option to change between 3g/gsm has been removed as part of the 3 locking thingy.

I'm not saying it won't work, but i'm not 100% sure that it will....good if it does tho!
    darn

ReputationRep:
    worth the risk??

ReputationRep:
    Vodafone are releasing 3G at christmas though, so u no...lol

ReputationRep:
    worth the risk??
    I think Nick should try it out and inform us all of the results

ReputationRep:
    And if it's a nokia phone, you can unlock it yourself for free if u have the right link/software (can't remember it off the top of my head but there's a thread about it on this board somewhere)

ReputationRep:
    the software for unlocking most phones is available on ebay for a minimal cost. i have sent a customer query to 3 asking about their gsm capabilities, i would advise anyone considering this purchase to do the same!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    I think Nick should try it out and inform us all of the results
    what wonderful ideas you have zapsta

ReputationRep:
    the software for unlocking most phones is available on ebay for a minimal cost. i have sent a customer query to 3 asking about their gsm capabilities, i would advise anyone considering this purchase to do the same!
    Some you need datacables for though, dct4 nokias (most modern ones) can be done remotely (code), as can some samsungs but not sure whether many others are like this or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.R)
    Some you need datacables for though, dct4 nokias (most modern ones) can be done remotely (code), as can some samsungs but not sure whether many others are like this or not.
    phunlock operates remotely and advertises the unlocking of the handsets concerned

ReputationRep:
    Most of the £45 handsets look horrible though.

ReputationRep:
    I've got some software I downloaded from somewhere. Email me and you can have a copy ([email protected])

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2004
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.