The Student Room Group

Year 13- food prep for university

So my mum is a food tech at a school and is working on a year 13 food club to show them how to cook like students- making the most out of a small budget.

What do you guys eat/cook at uni?
What do you wish you had learnt?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Shiro_A
So my mum is a food tech at a school and is working on a year 13 food club to show them how to cook like students- making the most out of a small budget.

What do you guys eat/cook at uni?
What do you wish you had learnt?

i didn't eat much different from when i lived at home, i used frozen chicken and a lot of pasta at uni which saved money
I meal plan so here's my list of meals for this week for the evenings. I don't plan lunches because I usually just eat leftovers, have lunch out if I'm on campus, or have something simple like super noodles.

Mon - Vegan jambalaya
Tue - Pesto chicken kebabs
Wed - Alfredo pasta bake
Thurs - Chicken egg fried rice
Fri - Garlic primavera pasta
Sat - Chicken stir fry
Sun - Sausage and mash

Last week:

Mon - Chicken stir fry
Tue - Chicken alfredo
Wed - Rice-stuffed peppers
Thur - Fajita pasta
Fri - Chicken stroganoff
Sat - Vegan jambalaya
Sun - Risotto

My shopping for that this week came to £17.18 but only because I had to buy staples like blocks of cheese, meat, sauces, spices, etc. which I wouldn't normally buy every week, it's just because this is my first shop being back at uni so needed a few extras. My typical weekly shop average between £10-£12 which includes snacks and nice things like muffins. It's definitely possible to eat healthily and have a variety while on a tight budget.

A lot of my recipes have come from Buzzfeed's Tasty. They do very nice meals with simple videos showing you how to make them, and the comments on the app give suggestions from other people about alterations they've made which sometimes work out cheaper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending