The Student Room Group

Love my job, hate my course

A few months ago I began my employment at my current workplace, where I discussed with my manager two potential apprenticeships I could do. Having received very good grades at GCSE (I dropped out of my AS levels due to illness but was predicted 3 As in History and both English subjects), I voiced interest in a level 3 qualification option which was exactly what I wanted to go on to do, Business Admin. They instead put me on a level 2 in Customer Service and told me I would have to complete this before doing the level 3. I thought the qualification sounded really easy but the level 3 was what I really wanted to do and if that was what I had to do in order to qualify, so be it.

The assessor spoke to my manager about the 20%-off-the-job requirement for training. For a few weeks this requirement was met, I was given plenty of coursework time and training. However, I have previously worked at a similar job role to mine before: I picked it up very quickly and was left to my own devices just a couple weeks in, and it was decided me shadowing or being shadowed by a colleague was hindering me much more than it was helping.

Now, I am barely meeting 10%-off-the-job, and the rotas for the next 3 weeks were put up today: I have not been rota'd in for any coursework time or training, despite having coursework due at the start of the 3rd week. I want to talk to my manager but I don't want to even ask for coursework time: I'm genuinely interested in asking if I even have to complete this apprenticeship at all. I am much more valuable being at my job than I am sitting in a room at a computer doing coursework, the course itself is far too easy (another reason I cannot meet my training requirement: anything I didn't know I was shown and trained on prior to the start date of my course) and I'm not enjoying it at all. But I'm also aware that the employer would likely have to cover the tuition fees still, as well as pay me more if they did take me off my course, so I don't think they'd see it as a good move (even though at this rate I'm not going to pass the course anyway, due to the nothing except that ridiculous percentage).

I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar position? I love my job but I just feel that it would benefit everyone in the longrun for me to be taken off the course, but I'm scared to voice that opinion because I know they've already paid for the course. I just don't think there's anything this course is going to teach me that warrants me having to be covered for a full shift a week by a staff member who doesn't even share my job role and would much rather be doing their own job.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Minuked
A few months ago I began my employment at my current workplace, where I discussed with my manager two potential apprenticeships I could do. Having received very good grades at GCSE (I dropped out of my AS levels due to illness but was predicted 3 As in History and both English subjects), I voiced interest in a level 3 qualification option which was exactly what I wanted to go on to do, Business Admin. They instead put me on a level 2 in Customer Service and told me I would have to complete this before doing the level 3. I thought the qualification sounded really easy but the level 3 was what I really wanted to do and if that was what I had to do in order to qualify, so be it.

The assessor spoke to my manager about the 20%-off-the-job requirement for training. For a few weeks this requirement was met, I was given plenty of coursework time and training. However, I have previously worked at a similar job role to mine before: I picked it up very quickly and was left to my own devices just a couple weeks in, and it was decided me shadowing or being shadowed by a colleague was hindering me much more than it was helping.

Now, I am barely meeting 10%-off-the-job, and the rotas for the next 3 weeks were put up today: I have not been rota'd in for any coursework time or training, despite having coursework due at the start of the 3rd week. I want to talk to my manager but I don't want to even ask for coursework time: I'm genuinely interested in asking if I even have to complete this apprenticeship at all. I am much more valuable being at my job than I am sitting in a room at a computer doing coursework, the course itself is far too easy (another reason I cannot meet my training requirement: anything I didn't know I was shown and trained on prior to the start date of my course) and I'm not enjoying it at all. But I'm also aware that the employer would likely have to cover the tuition fees still, as well as pay me more if they did take me off my course, so I don't think they'd see it as a good move (even though at this rate I'm not going to pass the course anyway, due to the nothing except that ridiculous percentage).

I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar position? I love my job but I just feel that it would benefit everyone in the longrun for me to be taken off the course, but I'm scared to voice that opinion because I know they've already paid for the course. I just don't think there's anything this course is going to teach me that warrants me having to be covered for a full shift a week by a staff member who doesn't even share my job role and would much rather be doing their own job.

The course you’re assigned on is designed to help you gain qualifications. I’m not particularly sure about this course you’re doing but is it a vocational qualification or an actual degree? 20% off the job equates 1 day a week (excluding weekends) Is this not enough for you? I’m a bit confused. Give more details
I work in a work place taking apprentices and we take the 20% rule very seriously. We don't have a choice actually because the training providers should come in regularly to meet with our employees who provide evidence of the 20% off by keeping a diary. We currently have someone who did GCSEs yet still had to do the level 2 AAT and has now moved on to level 3. We moved training providers for the level 3 because we found the ones for the level 2 were not giving him any support. I think you need to speak to your manager and your training provider because something is going wrong with your apprenticeship and it needs to be put right. Certainly rules go with taking an apprentice that aren't optional and an apprentice should be receiving lots of support. With regard to the level 2 being easy, I think you may need to just suck it up and concentrate on the real issue.
Sorry. You don’t get to decide here. Go with the process. There is nothing to gain for your employer or you. Complete the course and talk to your manager if your roster does make room for study if it should.
Reply 4
Original post by Welshvisitor
Sorry. You don’t get to decide here. Go with the process. There is nothing to gain for your employer or you. Complete the course and talk to your manager if your roster does make room for study if it should.

Not true if the company is using the apprenticeship levy/ paying apprentice wages below minimum pay levels. The 20% is a legal requirement.
Then challenge that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending