A persevering procrastinator's progress Watch

Gabsie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm starting this blog in hopes of finding motivation and hope that I do in fact succeed in doing so...:yep:

Anyways...I'm not comfy with sharing my GCSE results, but let's just say the standards were high and were not met...as a direct result of this I now need to:

-Get AMAZING results at A-level
-Take a gap year, cuz no uni is even gon' look at my application with those results
-possibly fight of that inner pessimist in me.

P.S. For those who are curious, I didn't actually fail anything...but...well...not happy with the results...

Subjects I'm studying:
Spoiler:
Show

A-Level Biology,
A-Level Chemistry (Salters),
A-Level Mathematics,
A-Level Physics,
Edexcel Algebra Awards class
Additional Studies in Medics

Extra ''stuff''
Spoiler:
Show

I'm a Student Ambassador (counts as volunteering hours and looks good on a personal statement)
I want to get a hospital placement and do some shadowing
I would also like to volunteer at a local care home...just need to build up the courage to call them...
Possibly also volunteer at a local pharmacy
(My main career path/choice is anaesthesiology)
mez_merising
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
all the best!
Gabsie
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I guess it's time for an update!

Not much has happened over the past week in terms of studying for me really, I've mainly been trying to sort out a schedule that will work with my night owl lifestyle (I usually get less than 6 hours of sleep and want to change that since getting a good amount of sleep will probably help my general health:yawn:).

My attendance is once again plummeting due to orthodontist appointments but I've finally gotten my braces off after 5 long (and painful) years, yoohoo!
Due to an attendance drop, the past week has basically consisted of catching up on work but I seem to be doing decently enough, I managed to get an A on a Biology test and usually don't drop more than 3 marks out of 20 on Chemistry homework.
I believe maths may be a problem though, I seem to always do amazing (80+%) on the homework quizzes my teacher sets, but struggle in class and get really low marks on the quizzes we do in class, any suggestions on what to do?
Physics has been...interesting...I love the A-level and look forward to studying it, but will definitely need to do more work at home on it that Bio and Chem, I feel like I have an amazing teacher and understand everything in class, but when it comes to applying the knowledge I seem to struggle.:gasp:

Apart from working on my A-levels I've decided to also work on my confidence, or should I say lack of thereof. I've been trying to ask more questions in class and answer more of them too. Last year I'd double guess my answer and wouldn't say it because I feared being wrong, this year I'm trying to answer more questions so that if I get something wrong I know and can actually ask for help.

Also, I've already managed to break a lever arch... a month in and I've already managed to break something :eek4:

Something I'm proud of though! I've managed to already start a revision cards bank, just need to start working on a glossary (or 4) now...

I've decided to end these with a quote that's sorta motivational so here it is:

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." - Confucius
hope2002
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
U must feel so different with braces off! How comes you had them for so long?
Gabsie
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by hope2002)
U must feel so different with braces off! How comes you had them for so long?
Yeah! It's totally different! (Plus I can finally have gum -yippee)
As to why it took so long, there were some issues with my original treatment that delayed the process and then my orthodontist had a car crash (she's fine, but broke her wrist and couldn't work for a while) so I had to be assigned to a new one. I don't mind it though, I'm extremely happy with the results so it was worth the time.
hope2002
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Gabsie)
Yeah! It's totally different! (Plus I can finally have gum -yippee)
As to why it took so long, there were some issues with my original treatment that delayed the process and then my orthodontist had a car crash (she's fine, but broke her wrist and couldn't work for a while) so I had to be assigned to a new one. I don't mind it though, I'm extremely happy with the results so it was worth the time.
5 YEARS WITHOUT GUM:eek: Some people ik ate everything and anything with their braces, I was too scared. The outcome must be amazing tho! Glad to hear ur dentist is ok, got real worried there for a sec. Also as a previous braces wearer, don't miss more than 1 night of wearing ur retainer cuz I did that once and then didn't wear it for a whole year and my teeth moved loads:dong:
Gabsie
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
2nd update!

So, clearly I can't keep to a time schedule, which is rather disappointing but I guess it's something to work on! 🤣

I've actually been really busy revising for exams and things like that, so I haven't had the time to update this, but here goes!

Biology - we just had our second test and I feel like it went great...(I say that now...🤣🤣) I did quite a large amount of revision compared to normal for this so I'm proud.

Chemistry - there's an upcoming exam that I'm soooooo not ready for, I feel like the titration calculations are getting to me already so that's worrying, but I understand the course so far and I think that's pretty good.

Physics - I definitely feel that physics is a subject I will need to study more of at home, probably because the teacher can't get a word in over how loud the class is half the time. The first physics test is coming up and I'm a bit worried, also, the revision guides shocked me, I got a revision guide and a physics maths skills one and the maths one is half the thickness of the actual guide! Wow that's a lot of maths!

Maths - I was supposed to get a result to my test yesterday, but I wasn't there for the lesson. I also have a 2nd year maths student helping me and that seems to be working really well so far since I actually get what I'm doing!

I mentioned before that I missed maths on the 16 th of October, that's because there was an event that taught CPR and I went to that. It was great and I'm really happy that now, if the need arises, I can actually perform CPR and talk someone through it. They gave certificates for it and I hope that it counts towards medics.

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don’t worry about darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest." Napoleon Hill

Also, October 18th! WEAR IT PINK! (Raising breast cancer awareness)
Last edited by Gabsie; 4 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (35)
25.18%
No (104)
74.82%

Watched Threads