Kxmil7
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I don’t know whether to do an EPQ or not, it sounds interesting and my school says I should do it, but I really don’t want to present and apparently the presentation is like 15 mins.
mez_merising
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
the presentation is the least of your worries
are you passionate enough about a topic to write a 5000 word essay on it?

(Original post by Kxmil7)
I don’t know whether to do an EPQ or not, it sounds interesting and my school says I should do it, but I really don’t want to present and apparently the presentation is like 15 mins.
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
An EPQ can bring you the extra marks to meet an offer, insight into and experience of independent research, and the edge over other candidates when borderline decisions are in play. And also something useful to fill the time in your interview, enabling you to control that section of the assessment. So yes, I recommend that you do an EPQ.
Kxmil7
Rep:
?
How important is the presentation?
Ectover_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not very important. I did awful in my presentation and still came out with an A*
AHoek10
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did an EPQ and it was definitely worth it: It wasn’t the difficult to write it once I had my topic and most people wrote over 5000. It also gives you something to talk about on personal statements and university interviews and many universities actually lower the grade requirements for you if you have an EPQ. And tbh it isn’t too difficult to talk about a 5000 word project for 10 minutes
AHoek10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For my EPQ is was only marked out of 9 and it was very easy to get it. To be honest the actual EPQ is the most important thing and the presentation is more of a formality
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A special thread for you :holmes:
Should I take EPQ? Your Questions Answered!
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The guidelines indicate devoting approximately 120 hours in total. I recommend this option, if you have the discipline to complete.
imo__o
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My presentation was only 10 minutes and it was not an extremely important part of the EPQ. The EPQ is all about the process of your project and reflecting on it as well as writing a good dissertation. But it doesn’t have to be perfect because then in your evaluation, you can talk about how you would improve in the presentation if it didn’t go as well as the other things. I would highly recommend EPQ, it feels like hard work but a lot of top achieving unis will lower a grade in their offer for most courses if you get A*/A in EPQ (they will not do this for medicine). And it is something to talk about in your personal statement. It’s also a chance to get a feel of what uni work will be like since doing your own research project is a big part of a degree. And it’s nice doing proper research on something you’re genuinely interested in.
smarties04
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was having the same dilemma with the presentation as you but honestly I’m glad I did it. It was really helpful in giving me something to write about in my personal statement, and if you have interviews it’ll also be helpful for those.

Find a topic related to the course you want to do at uni and that you’re passionate about and that’ll take away half your headache with the EPQ. Especially if your course is an essay subject, this grade will help show off your skills to unis too.
Kxmil7
Rep:
?
Alright everyone, i think i’ll do it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (235)
56.49%
I don't have everything I need (181)
43.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed