The Student Room Group

Debating weather I should stay or drop out of uni. Any advice

I started my first year of uni on Monday and i'm stumped weather I should stay or drop out. The first week has been very boring and i don't feel the same way towards the course as what i did at the end of my A levels. I am commuting to the school every day and final registration is Friday. Was thinking about changing course but even if i wanted to change i wouldn't know what to change to. I still like most of the subject but just feel completely bored while at the uni. I could defer my entry to next year and take a year to decide on what i want to do (either change course or drop out) but i feel as if that would be a year of wasted time. Anyone had a similar experience and got any advice?

Currently I am planning on staying for at least another week just so i got the full experience but just wanted some advice, just in case things dont change.
Reply 1
Started university on Monday. I felt the same way as you but am sure the course will start to pick up the pace once everyone has settled in. Stay for the whole year if you don't like it drop out.
Original post by Loyal____
I started my first year of uni on Monday and i'm stumped weather I should stay or drop out. The first week has been very boring and i don't feel the same way towards the course as what i did at the end of my A levels. I am commuting to the school every day and final registration is Friday. Was thinking about changing course but even if i wanted to change i wouldn't know what to change to. I still like most of the subject but just feel completely bored while at the uni. I could defer my entry to next year and take a year to decide on what i want to do (either change course or drop out) but i feel as if that would be a year of wasted time. Anyone had a similar experience and got any advice?

Currently I am planning on staying for at least another week just so i got the full experience but just wanted some advice, just in case things dont change.

Just have to do a pros and cons.
Normally people are homesick or they havent made friends. The ones that feel its the wrong course transfer.
You arent going to get much more in a week. but its a serious miscalculation you have only managed 3 days.
Are you making an effort?

ID what you dont like.

If its not for you and they offer the chance then imo leave and take a gap. That way you arent committed and can decide whether uni is for you, id a career and really put effort into finding what you wnat for your next step. That wouldnt be a waste of time as you can do things in that year. What you do want to do is avoid wasting limited student finance.
Hey.

As above, a list of pros and cons are pretty good.

University is pretty boring to start with, just remember that it's education. And that through it you'll get something great at the end.
A few people in this thread >>> https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6157260 may have some similar opinions to you that may put you at ease or have fellow freshers to talk to!

Nobody can make the decision for you, but, I absolutely hope you make the right one. It's a big change, but sometimes sticking it out is the right thing to do.
Best of luck :smile:
Joshua

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending