RAF or Navy Officer without maths Nat 5?? Watch

georgiagibson_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
So I’ve been looking at applying for the forces since I didn’t meet my conditions for uni and was always going to join up at some point so why not now.

I’d like to join as an officer since I have average grades at AABCC Nat 5 and BBCD at higher, however none of my Nat 5’s include maths (have Nat 4 maths), I don’t know if I should even apply seen as I’m missing out on maths.

I have biology so should that not count as a mathematical qualification? I know I’m capable of being smart, I just didn’t apply myself in high school and there’s no way of me doing Nat 5 maths anymore.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by georgiagibson_)
So I’ve been looking at applying for the forces since I didn’t meet my conditions for uni and was always going to join up at some point so why not now.

I’d like to join as an officer since I have average grades at AABCC Nat 5 and BBCD at higher, however none of my Nat 5’s include maths (have Nat 4 maths), I don’t know if I should even apply seen as I’m missing out on maths.

I have biology so should that not count as a mathematical qualification? I know I’m capable of being smart, I just didn’t apply myself in high school and there’s no way of me doing Nat 5 maths anymore.
Minimum requirements include having maths at that level, unfortunately if you don't have that then you're likely to fall at the first hurdle...

...for officer.

Have you thought about the other trades?
RAF_Adam
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Hi

Which role are you interested in applying for? You've said Officer, but which role?

You'll need to meet the entry requirements listed on the role page on the website, they're the minimum requirements for a reason.

As has already been stated, have you thought about Airmen roles? You could then commission later on to be an Officer.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
georgiagibson_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
Minimum requirements include having maths at that level, unfortunately if you don't have that then you're likely to fall at the first hurdle...

...for officer.

Have you thought about the other trades?
The maths required for Officer seems to be really quite similar to Nat 4 maths since GCSE and Nat 4 are closer in level than GCSE and Nat 5. But I guess I’d have to go to the careers office to get a definitive answer. My options are still open at the minute so I guess I’m just figuring where to go from here.
georgiagibson_
Rep:
?
(Original post by RAF_Adam)
Hi

Which role are you interested in applying for? You've said Officer, but which role?

You'll need to meet the entry requirements listed on the role page on the website, they're the minimum requirements for a reason.

As has already been stated, have you thought about Airmen roles? You could then commission later on to be an Officer.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
I was interested in Intelligence Officer since I’m good with languages but I get that they need proof of ability with maths so if there’d be no chance of being an Officer I’d just try for airmen/airwomen. Thanks for the speedy reply!
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I was interested in Intelligence Officer since I’m good with languages but I get that they need proof of ability with maths so if there’d be no chance of being an Officer I’d just try for airmen/airwomen. Thanks for the speedy reply!
It's also worth pointing out that IntO is really competitive, so it tends to help to have more than the minimum requirements.

Int An, though could be an interesting one for you to look at
georgiagibson_
Rep:
?
I’m hoping that whatever I apply for having a military family helps, my parents were really wanting to see me as an officer but I didn’t even think about NCO’s so their dreams could still come true haha. Int An would defo be the position I’d apply for!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (141)
45.63%
No (41)
13.27%
I'm not old enough (127)
41.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed