LostAndFound99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm turning 19 turning 20 in a few months and I've been taking a "gap" year in Australia and I'm coming back to the UK in January. I don't know where to start when I go back home, I took this trip to try and figure out what kind of career I want to do in the future. I realized that I love building and fixing things tech related.

So I thought maybe the best idea of a career would be to get into electrical engineer or something of the variety. However, I dropped out of college after my first year, I had poor attendance and was going through a dark period in my life. Now I am unsure on what steps to take in order to get into the engineering scene since I know it can be a pretty demanding area. I now have this new found motivation to actually try and work towards a future for myself but I simply don't know what my best options are, is there even a chance of me trying to get into this field despite me flunking maths and physics at A - level? I'm worried that I've already messed up all my chances due to my past actions.

TL;DR Turning 20, college drop out, want to get into education for electrical engineering. What are my options?
adam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What's your GCSEs like
ReadDed
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
access to he in engineering
LostAndFound99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by adam277)
What's your GCSEs like
Sorry I should have clarified. Maths A, English lit and lan A, Science B
adam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Then finding a college that offers an access to engineering seems like your best bet.
With that you can apply for electrical engineering degrees.

That being said it's very math heavy and not practical.
So if you don't want to go university then an apprenticeship is an option but it depends on what's available in your area.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LostAndFound99)
I'm turning 19 turning 20 in a few months and I've been taking a "gap" year in Australia and I'm coming back to the UK in January. I don't know where to start when I go back home, I took this trip to try and figure out what kind of career I want to do in the future. I realized that I love building and fixing things tech related.

So I thought maybe the best idea of a career would be to get into electrical engineer or something of the variety. However, I dropped out of college after my first year, I had poor attendance and was going through a dark period in my life. Now I am unsure on what steps to take in order to get into the engineering scene since I know it can be a pretty demanding area. I now have this new found motivation to actually try and work towards a future for myself but I simply don't know what my best options are, is there even a chance of me trying to get into this field despite me flunking maths and physics at A - level? I'm worried that I've already messed up all my chances due to my past actions.

TL;DR Turning 20, college drop out, want to get into education for electrical engineering. What are my options?
Hi there LostAndFound99

As reddead and adam277 have said an Access to HE course is a good option to look at. As well as only taking an academic year to complete, you may be eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan, which not only pays for the course, but when you complete your degree and graduate, the loan is then written off. An Apprenticeship is possibly also another option and worth investigating if you're not sure about university.

Fi :horse:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (665)
33.52%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (845)
42.59%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.41%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.49%

Watched Threads