chloemorris98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I want to become a psychotherapist but am really stuck on where to start!

I have just finished my BSc with Honours in Medical neuroscience and got a 1st. This included many relevant modules, such as: biological bases of mental disorders; drugs, brain & behaviour; clinical psychology & mental health; medical neuroscience (involved meeting patients with substance abuse disorders); cognition in clinical contexts (psychology module); neuroscience and behaviour; psychology of childhood & adolescence.

I am 21 years old, have just finished my degree, and have 6 years of nannying experience. I also have done some work experience placements in hospitals (nursing shadowing, anaesthetist shadowing, neurophysiology shadowing), volunteering in a dementia care home and a children's hospice, however all off these placements have only been 1-4 weeks each.

With my level of qualifications and experience, what is the best and quickest route for me to become a psychotherapist?

Perhaps I could start by becoming a substance abuse counsellor? If this is a good route, how would I get into this profession?

Due to my financial situation, I am unable to do any route that involves any more voluntary work.

Thank you for your help.
Last edited by chloemorris98; 5 months ago
Welshvisitor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
A masters in counselling practice is a great route . It’s a two year course usually because you have to build up clinical practice hours for which you won’t be paid. But since you’ve mentioned financial restraints you’re going to find it very difficult to get professional training and recognition with a professional body. Counselling is a minefield! Listen to this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0008nxl

It was on Radio 4 the other day.

Things are rapidly changing in the therapy field and the profession is under threat.

I have BA(Hons) in Humanistic Counselling Practice from a Russell Group uni and I’m finding it impossible to find a job. I’m still volunteering for free and have to keep going at it until I eventually do get a job.
Welshvisitor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Maybe consider CBT training. There are more employment opportunities.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
61.68%
No (64)
38.32%

Watched Threads