Structuring Essays For A-level Sociology

Watch
San andreas
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How do you structure your essays in a level sociology for a/a*?
amelia_jasinski
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Here is a list of essential things to do when writing a sociology essay for A-level:
- look at the question carefully: identify the commands; does the question want you to explain or evaluate?
- introduction: it would be a good idea to include all the relevant ideas you plan to include, and (for an evaluation question) how you are going to argue.
- main body: you have to show that you can acknowledge opposing points of view, and that you can use counter-arguments to support your argument. Use lots of relevant examples or statistics that you have acquired during your course and/or further reading (further reading is always a good idea!) to back up your points. This is a good opportunity to show off your sociological knowledge by using and explaining (concisely) sociologists' explanations, as well as the corresponding date. The key here is to ALWAYS back up your points - avoid making the marker think: 'so what?' The larger the mark a question has, the more important this is.
- conclusion: weigh up the different points of view and reinforce your argument. The key here is to persuade.

I got an A* in Sociology but I haven't studied it in a year so I strongly advise you to also talk to your sociology teacher about the best way to structure an essay. If you have a sociology textbook, look to see if there are any essay writing guidelines and do past paper questions for your teacher to look at. Hope this helps
RebmaKopy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by amelia_jasinski)
Here is a list of essential things to do when writing a sociology essay for A-level:
- look at the question carefully: identify the commands; does the question want you to explain or evaluate?
- introduction: it would be a good idea to include all the relevant ideas you plan to include, and (for an evaluation question) how you are going to argue.
- main body: you have to show that you can acknowledge opposing points of view, and that you can use counter-arguments to support your argument. Use lots of relevant examples or statistics that you have acquired during your course and/or further reading (further reading is always a good idea!) to back up your points. This is a good opportunity to show off your sociological knowledge by using and explaining (concisely) sociologists' explanations, as well as the corresponding date. The key here is to ALWAYS back up your points - avoid making the marker think: 'so what?' The larger the mark a question has, the more important this is.
- conclusion: weigh up the different points of view and reinforce your argument. The key here is to persuade.

I got an A* in Sociology but I haven't studied it in a year so I strongly advise you to also talk to your sociology teacher about the best way to structure an essay. If you have a sociology textbook, look to see if there are any essay writing guidelines and do past paper questions for your teacher to look at. Hope this helps
Question, did you do psychology, if so could you please recommend any tips for writing 16 markers. Thanks!
amelia_jasinski
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RebmaKopy)
Question, did you do psychology, if so could you please recommend any tips for writing 16 markers. Thanks!
I didn't do psychology sorry! But the places to find the most solid tips in essay-writing are your teachers and/or textbooks
harryisalegend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by San andreas)
How do you structure your essays in a level sociology for a/a*?
Hi, I have a* quality written essays- (for aqa + ocr) email me and I’ll get back to you with them ; [email protected]
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (57)
15.16%
I'm not sure (13)
3.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (129)
34.31%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.6%
I'm not a current university student (171)
45.48%

Watched Threads