smolbean12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
how do u answer a sources question? what is provenance,content and tone? any tips or pneumonics are extremely appreciated )
philoslothical
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've just started y12 so hopefully someone with more knowledge will answer too..but from what I've been taught so far:
1. Provenance is the information that accompanies the source- you can comment on the author and the type of media (eg speech, newspaper article, autobiography) to assess the utility of the source and any possible issues (eg this is an extract from a novel and some novels can be sensationalised)
2. Content is the actual stuff discussed in the source use this to link back to and answer the question (eg if your question is was X well liked, find the bit when the author mentions X and discuss it)
3. Tone is the vibe (?) the author creates in the piece, my teacher tells us to imagine reading the source to young children and think how we could use our voice to portray the author's message (in an exam you can link back the the question with the author creates a positive tone with the phrase...when describing X which suggests X was well liked)

Hope this helps?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (15)
11.03%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (87)
63.97%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (18)
13.24%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (13)
9.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (3)
2.21%

Watched Threads