Is St. Andrews really better than Edinburgh?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
St. Andrews is constantly ranked highly and is apparently very hard to get into. Its closest competitor is Edinburgh. But is it really better than Edinburgh? The only notable alumni from St. Andrews were members of the royal family, yet at Edinburgh you have David Hume, Charles Darwin, John Law and so on. It is also given about the same weighting by as St. Andrews when it comes to employers in Investment Banking, Consultancy etcetra. Edinburgh is ranked higher in the world rankings and is probably more prestigious in the USA. St. Andrews is also boring and expensive. So whats the fuss about St. Andrews? Am I missing something?
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
St. Andrews is constantly ranked highly and is apparently very hard to get into. Its closest competitor is Edinburgh. But is it really better than Edinburgh? The only notable alumni from St. Andrews were members of the royal family, yet at Edinburgh you have David Hume, Charles Darwin, John Law and so on. It is also given about the same weighting by as St. Andrews when it comes to employers in Investment Banking, Consultancy etcetra. Edinburgh is ranked higher in the world rankings and is probably more prestigious in the USA. St. Andrews is also boring and expensive. So whats the fuss about St. Andrews? Am I missing something?
St Andrews is vastly superior for undergrad, Edinburgh is vastly superior for postgrad. it's pretty easy to understand
Anonymous #1
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
St Andrews is vastly superior for undergrad, Edinburgh is vastly superior for postgrad. it's pretty easy to understand
Whats the big difference?
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Whats the big difference?
look at the criteria used to compile the domestic league tables and then look at the criteria used to compile the international league tables.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
look at the criteria used to compile the domestic league tables and then look at the criteria used to compile the international league tables.
Ah yes, the domestic rankings where Lancaster and Loughborough are right behind Durham, Imperial, LSE St. Andrews and Oxbridge, and above UCL, Warwick and Bristol. I don't the rankings are that important really because they're just so varied. Is St. Andrews really more prestigious, and what edge would someone who went to St. Andrews have over someone who went to Edinburgh?
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Ah yes, the domestic rankings where Lancaster and Loughborough are right behind Durham, Imperial, LSE St. Andrews and Oxbridge, and above UCL, Warwick and Bristol. I don't the rankings are that important really because they're just so varied. Is St. Andrews really more prestigious, and what edge would someone who went to St. Andrews have over someone who went to Edinburgh?
i said look at the criteria.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (24)
18.6%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (14)
10.85%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.75%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
17.05%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (33)
25.58%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
20.16%

Watched Threads