The Student Room Group

Driving Lesson Advice

Hi, here is some background. I'll be taking driving lessons on a few months. I turn 17 in February and my mum doesn't have a car so, all driving practise will be with my instructor.
Here are my questions:
Do I need insurance while learning to drive?
If yes, how much does it cost?

What's the average cost of learning to drive?

Is it bad that I can't practise outside of lessons as we don't have a car?

Do I need insurance once I get my license if I don't have a car?

Some one told me that I must drive for at least a year after I get my license otherwise they'll take the license away. Is this true?

Is there anything else that I need to know?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I have no idea how everything works and everyone is telling me different things.

Thank you
- Insurance will be included as part of the cost per lesson when driving with your instructor, so you don't need to worry about that

- The price of lessons will vary a lot depending on the instructor you use

- It's recommended that you get some practice outside of lessons but it's just not feasible for everyone, you may end up needing more lessons before you're test ready but that's okay

- You'll only need insurance if you're planning on driving a car

- Not true, I have a friend who passed when he was 17/18, he's just turned 27, has never driven and still has his license
Your driving instructor has insurance on their car so you dont need to buy any. You'd only need insurance if you were being taught by a family member who isn't a driving instructor.
You usually should get the first hour free but after that the price varies a bit per hour. I payed £22.5 per hour. Then for your driving test you will need to rent your instructors car and that will cost you but I'm sure the instructor will give you all the information.
It isn't bad that you can't practice outside of lessons. Maybe you'd have to buy more hours as a result in order to learn. I recommend to close your eyes and imagine you're driving as that improves your recall. (Scientifically proven)

Once you pass your test, you will not need any insurance unless you are planning on driving a car.
No you don't have to drive at all once you get your licence. It just shows that you know the basics of being a safe driver so you can even get a licence and never drive a car.

I highly recommend you learn on a manual car as usually it's a bit cheaper per hour and if you just were to get a licence on an automatic car then you can't drive manual cars.
Original post by laura10203
Do I need insurance while learning to drive?

Not for a driving school car - they provide the cover.

What's the average cost of learning to drive?

It varies widely, depending upon how quickly a person picks it up.

Is it bad that I can't practise outside of lessons as we don't have a car?

It would be better, *if* you have someone that has the right temperment and experience to supervise you.

Do I need insurance once I get my license if I don't have a car?

No.

Some one told me that I must drive for at least a year after I get my license otherwise they'll take the license away. Is this true?

No.

Is there anything else that I need to know?

Almost certainly :smile:. Learning to drive is like any new skill - you will have better and worse lessons. Don't expect it all to click quickly - you will get there, but it will take time to coordinate everything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending