zoola
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm not sure which exam board to choose for my a level religious studies. Is AQA or eduqas better? has anyone done any of these before for religious studies?
aliferra
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maybe consider OCR? I believe it is the only board that covers Aristotle and Plato independently.
Healthing109
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by aliferra)
Maybe consider OCR? I believe it is the only board that covers Aristotle and Plato independently.
What do you enjoy about RS?
Rretini
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My school did OCR for A Level RS and I wouldn't recommend it if you have the choice for your exam board. The textbook for it is awful to be blunt. It's all a gigantic monologue of the writer that isn't easy to decipher what you actually need to know and what you don't (a reviewer on amazon suggested he tried to show off everything he knew rather than educate and I have to agree) and there are multiple pages (marked by the writer himself) that are not relevant to the course aka a big waste of space.

The paper itself is way more essay heavy than the other boards- there's only 3 questions you answer, and they're all 40 marks(!) so you're time management is going to be really vital otherwise you'll miss out on many marks. In comparison, Edexcel has the marks much more spread out across the paper with 10, 12, 20 mark questions etc...

Also, even though the third paper 'development in x thought' can be a range of different religions, you'll essentially be locked into Christianity as that is the only one the exam board's textbook (and the one by Libby Ahluwalia) covers.
Joe312
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As a tutor who tutors all exam boards, I can safely say I prefer OCR the most. It's got the most straightforward specification and exam setup which is not true of eduqas. The topics are all really interesting even to atheists, which is not true of edexcel.
Joe312
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rretini)
My school did OCR for A Level RS and I wouldn't recommend it if you have the choice for your exam board. The textbook for it is awful to be blunt.
There are many text books for OCR.

I don't see how time management is any more of an issue for OCR than edexcel, just because edexcel has lower mark questions? How does that make a difference?

All exam boards are the same when it comes to studying only one religion, and they all have the same options so that's no difference?
Last edited by Joe312; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (143)
42.69%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.64%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.36%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (71)
21.19%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.97%

Watched Threads