a level religious studies

Watch this thread
zoola
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm not sure which exam board to choose for my a level religious studies. Is AQA or eduqas better? has anyone done any of these before for religious studies?
aliferra
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Maybe consider OCR? I believe it is the only board that covers Aristotle and Plato independently.
Healthing109
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by aliferra)
Maybe consider OCR? I believe it is the only board that covers Aristotle and Plato independently.
What do you enjoy about RS?
Rretini
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
My school did OCR for A Level RS and I wouldn't recommend it if you have the choice for your exam board. The textbook for it is awful to be blunt. It's all a gigantic monologue of the writer that isn't easy to decipher what you actually need to know and what you don't (a reviewer on amazon suggested he tried to show off everything he knew rather than educate and I have to agree) and there are multiple pages (marked by the writer himself) that are not relevant to the course aka a big waste of space.

The paper itself is way more essay heavy than the other boards- there's only 3 questions you answer, and they're all 40 marks(!) so you're time management is going to be really vital otherwise you'll miss out on many marks. In comparison, Edexcel has the marks much more spread out across the paper with 10, 12, 20 mark questions etc...

Also, even though the third paper 'development in x thought' can be a range of different religions, you'll essentially be locked into Christianity as that is the only one the exam board's textbook (and the one by Libby Ahluwalia) covers.
Joe312
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
As a tutor who tutors all exam boards, I can safely say I prefer OCR the most. It's got the most straightforward specification and exam setup which is not true of eduqas. The topics are all really interesting even to atheists, which is not true of edexcel.
Joe312
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rretini)
My school did OCR for A Level RS and I wouldn't recommend it if you have the choice for your exam board. The textbook for it is awful to be blunt.
There are many text books for OCR.

I don't see how time management is any more of an issue for OCR than edexcel, just because edexcel has lower mark questions? How does that make a difference?

All exam boards are the same when it comes to studying only one religion, and they all have the same options so that's no difference?
Last edited by Joe312; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (38)
29.69%
Take a gap year (18)
14.06%
Resit my exams (34)
26.56%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (18)
14.06%
I don't know yet (14)
10.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
4.69%

Watched Threads