Mum going through my things at 20 years old ANNOYED

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’m really annoyed I’ve just come home and my mum has apparently organised some boxes of hers that be in my room but clearly has gone through my clothes and things in my room. I am 20 years old I understand I live in her house however I feel I deserve some privacy. It’s not even about hiding anything because she won’t find anything unusual in my room I just hate the fact that my mum goes through my clothes and yes even if that’s dirty clothes ready to be washed I find it so uncomfortable whenever I’ve asked her in the past about she says it’s a mess so that’s why she did it. I just feel like going to her and saying why do you do this. Anyone have any suggestions on how to actually handle situations like this. I just feel quite hurt and annoyed. It’s happened so many times now.
TheAlchemistress
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Lock your items if you can or speak to her or move out
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Discrepancy)
Lock your items if you can or speak to her or move out
She won’t agree to a lock as then she will say what am I trying to hide.
Moving out is not really an option at the moment. I am however financially dependent. Don’t rely on anything from her financially.
Mike Harriot
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
This is a family issue....Why are you posting it online to strangers?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Mike Harriot)
It’s just for general advice as it might just be me being irrational.
TheAlchemistress
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
He/She wants advice - it is perfectly fine
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
It's kinda the point of the whole website?

(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m really annoyed I’ve just come home and my mum has apparently organised some boxes of hers that be in my room but clearly has gone through my clothes and things in my room. I am 20 years old I understand I live in her house however I feel I deserve some privacy. It’s not even about hiding anything because she won’t find anything unusual in my room I just hate the fact that my mum goes through my clothes and yes even if that’s dirty clothes ready to be washed I find it so uncomfortable whenever I’ve asked her in the past about she says it’s a mess so that’s why she did it. I just feel like going to her and saying why do you do this. Anyone have any suggestions on how to actually handle situations like this. I just feel quite hurt and annoyed. It’s happened so many times now.
I know it sounds cheesy, but speak to her about it. It might be a difficult subject to bring up but it might be worth it. She probably still views you as her baby, while you obviously have grown up a bit and are (more than) ready for your own space and independence. Messy rooms is a thing that seems to annoy mums though, so on your part, if you know she's going to be going into your room for boxes etc, try keep your room tidy too? That will also show to her that you are that bit older and more mature now.
Welshvisitor
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Perhaps she is covering up for being nosey and is checking to see if she finds anything to be angry about. Lock away anything you don’t want her to find in bag with a pad lock and hide the key 🔐
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (14)
17.5%
The paper was reasonable (28)
35%
Not feeling great about that exam... (29)
36.25%
It was TERRIBLE (9)
11.25%

Watched Threads