The Student Room Group

Salaried withdrawal fee? Please help

I want to withdraw from my training course but my school said there would be a fee. They never gave me a figure - anyone know? I just assumed since I'm paid by the school, all they'd have to do is pay me for the days I did do work and then cease payment after my last day. I've not seen anyone from the course provider yet. How much am I looking at? I've read my signed contract and it's not clear there.
Original post by TeacherTraining1
I want to withdraw from my training course but my school said there would be a fee. They never gave me a figure - anyone know? I just assumed since I'm paid by the school, all they'd have to do is pay me for the days I did do work and then cease payment after my last day. I've not seen anyone from the course provider yet. How much am I looking at? I've read my signed contract and it's not clear there.

It's reasonably common in some sectors. Is there nothing in any contract about amortization or withdrawal? They are entitled to recoup costs they've incurred for example in training materials, in time wasted, opportunity cost etc. However, did you sign anything? Usually you've got to have agreed they can recoup monies if you drop out.
Original post by threeportdrift
It's reasonably common in some sectors. Is there nothing in any contract about amortization or withdrawal? They are entitled to recoup costs they've incurred for example in training materials, in time wasted, opportunity cost etc. However, did you sign anything? Usually you've got to have agreed they can recoup monies if you drop out.

It doesn't say financial penalty anywhere, except, "I know that all financial obligations to [training provider] must be met in order to be recommended for the award of QTS." I've read it twice and done key word searches like financial and penalty. It doesn't say how much money. For instance, am I looking at hundreds or thousands?

"I understand that, as successful completion of this course leads to admission to a professional body, I am required during my training to adhere to the expectations of conduct endorsed by the teaching profession and expressed in the Teachers’ Standards. I understand that breaches of these expectations may lead to disciplinary action including my exclusion from the course and/or the inability of the school to provide me with a supportive professional reference. I understand that my registration onto the ITT programme is on the basis of information I provided as part of the selection and recruitment process, and that any discrepancy found subsequently may result in the termination of my place. I know that the information includes a Declaration of health, fitness and suitability, and will comply with requirements for further discussion/examination if necessary."

It just seems like it should say, after termination of my place, "termination will result in X amount of money as a financial penalty" or something similar to that.
Original post by TeacherTraining1
It doesn't say financial penalty anywhere, except, "I know that all financial obligations to [training provider] must be met in order to be recommended for the award of QTS." I've read it twice and done key word searches like financial and penalty. It doesn't say how much money. For instance, am I looking at hundreds or thousands?

"I understand that, as successful completion of this course leads to admission to a professional body, I am required during my training to adhere to the expectations of conduct endorsed by the teaching profession and expressed in the Teachers’ Standards. I understand that breaches of these expectations may lead to disciplinary action including my exclusion from the course and/or the inability of the school to provide me with a supportive professional reference. I understand that my registration onto the ITT programme is on the basis of information I provided as part of the selection and recruitment process, and that any discrepancy found subsequently may result in the termination of my place. I know that the information includes a Declaration of health, fitness and suitability, and will comply with requirements for further discussion/examination if necessary."

It just seems like it should say, after termination of my place, "termination will result in X amount of money as a financial penalty" or something similar to that.

It probably won't say 'financial penalty' because it won't view it as a penalty. It will view it as repayment of training costs incurred.

I really don't know how much it might be, I don't think they can be punative, so no more than the entire training cost, and probably just the proportion you have 'used' to the point of withdrawal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending