The Student Room Group

Just started Counselling Level 2

Hello,

I have just started a Counselling Course and I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips or advice. I just did my first triad observation and I found it difficult to observe and write what I saw and state the skill used as it all went so quickly. I would be grateful for any advice you could give me.
Reply 1
Hi!

I completed my Level 3 earlier this year.

First of all, you will get used to it and be able to pick out specific skills used much more easily after some practice. Many of them merge together, so it can be difficult to differentiate between them sometimes.

If you are observing a person-centred therapy session, the 'helper' shouldn't be doing much speaking. You can discus non-verbal things like how they use body language, facial expressions and minimal responses to show empathy or active listening.

Listen to what the helper does say. If they ask questions, are they open questions that invite the speaker to explore in more depth? Are they requesting clarification or further information to gain a better understanding?

Listen out for when the helper paraphrases or summarises information. These skills show active listening if used accurately. Does the helper manage to summarise all the key information?

Another skill used is reflecting feelings. How well does the helper do this? Can they pick up on how the speaker is feeling, or how situations they talk about made them feel?

When I first started, I found it difficult too, but soon these skills become second nature. At first, though, you may find yourself thinking so much about using all the skills that you forget to listen to the speaker! I'm on with my level 4 and MSc now.. it's tough, but loving it!

Hope this helps!

Loren
Reply 2
Original post by Nerol
Hi!

I completed my Level 3 earlier this year.

First of all, you will get used to it and be able to pick out specific skills used much more easily after some practice. Many of them merge together, so it can be difficult to differentiate between them sometimes.

If you are observing a person-centred therapy session, the 'helper' shouldn't be doing much speaking. You can discus non-verbal things like how they use body language, facial expressions and minimal responses to show empathy or active listening.

Listen to what the helper does say. If they ask questions, are they open questions that invite the speaker to explore in more depth? Are they requesting clarification or further information to gain a better understanding?

Listen out for when the helper paraphrases or summarises information. These skills show active listening if used accurately. Does the helper manage to summarise all the key information?

Another skill used is reflecting feelings. How well does the helper do this? Can they pick up on how the speaker is feeling, or how situations they talk about made them feel?

When I first started, I found it difficult too, but soon these skills become second nature. At first, though, you may find yourself thinking so much about using all the skills that you forget to listen to the speaker! I'm on with my level 4 and MSc now.. it's tough, but loving it!

Hope this helps!

Loren

Hi Loren,

Thank you for get back to me.

I was at a lose end. I thought to myself, have I got in too deep with this course but, your reply has put me at ease to know you struggled at the beginning with some of the same issues I am having.

I really appreciate the time you have taken to go over specific areas in detail.

Also, congratulations on progressing to level 4!

I hope to follow the same path.

Your words have helped me, immensely.

Once again thank you
Kaz

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending