The Student Room Group

Maths alevel is challenging- help!

It’s only this week that I began to actually feel the alevel pressure. I don’t find it difficult it’s just taught so quickly and fast that I don’t have time to think and let the method and questions to sink in. I do 2.5 hours of maths on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and it makes me so bloody tired( no breaks in between). How do I improve really quickly??? I always ask questions I don’t know and go drop in lessons but it still messes me up and makes me feel tense 😖😖
Reply 1
Original post by ArtmisKco
It’s only this week that I began to actually feel the alevel pressure. I don’t find it difficult it’s just taught so quickly and fast that I don’t have time to think and let the method and questions to sink in. I do 2.5 hours of maths on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and it makes me so bloody tired( no breaks in between). How do I improve really quickly??? I always ask questions I don’t know and go drop in lessons but it still messes me up and makes me feel tense 😖😖

That's really awful timetabling :frown: It sounds like you're doing the right things by asking questions but are you also trying as many questions as you can? Step 1 of maths A Level is the understanding (many fall at this hurdle) but you also need to try loads of questions.

If you find that a topic is taught too fast then when you get home (or in a free period) try watching a video that explains the topic. Here's a list of topics with links to videos for each that you may find useful. Before the next school lesson you must make sure that you fully understand everything taught in the last lesson.
(edited 4 years ago)
Wow thank you soo much!!!!!! It’s so helpful!!! We’ve already done the discriminant, surds and indices, sketching graphs, equations and inequalities, algebraic equations and we are now on equations of a circle!!!! In 3 weeks this is all we’ve covered already!!! Is it a lot??? The link you’ve game me are they all the topics for both As and A2???
Reply 3
Original post by ArtmisKco
Wow thank you soo much!!!!!! It’s so helpful!!! We’ve already done the discriminant, surds and indices, sketching graphs, equations and inequalities, algebraic equations and we are now on equations of a circle!!!! In 3 weeks this is all we’ve covered already!!! Is it a lot??? The link you’ve game me are they all the topics for both As and A2???

A lot of the early stuff is an extension of GCSE so schools tend to teach it quite quickly. I wouldn't say that you're going fast compared to other schools. Hopefully your teacher will spend longer on topics that are brand new. Yes they are all of the main topics but of course there are subtopics within those topics.
Ah okay thank you though!!!

Quick Reply

Latest