career help - lost and confused

Watch this thread
ni98m
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
very confused. I’ve got an accounting and finance degree but confused on what to do now. my university didn’t inform me that to do ACCA in the big 4 i would have had to apply early and they usually start in September time. I’m too late too apply for that for this year.

Now I’m confused because what sort of jobs do i apply for? I don’t have previous experience in accounting and most jobs are expecting some sort of experience. Do i apply for accounting assistant job roles? What is the job title that i should be applying for? Please help.

I also don’t feel as confident in my ability to do most of the things that these jobs are requiring so I’m worried that i wont be capable of working for them. I have just completed university this summer just gone (2019) so I don’t want to embarrass myself by turning up to an interview which expects me to already know everything.

Just very lost right now
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ni98m)
very confused. I’ve got an accounting and finance degree but confused on what to do now. my university didn’t inform me that to do ACCA in the big 4 i would have had to apply early and they usually start in September time. I’m too late too apply for that for this year.

Now I’m confused because what sort of jobs do i apply for? I don’t have previous experience in accounting and most jobs are expecting some sort of experience. Do i apply for accounting assistant job roles? What is the job title that i should be applying for? Please help.

I also don’t feel as confident in my ability to do most of the things that these jobs are requiring so I’m worried that i wont be capable of working for them. I have just completed university this summer just gone (2019) so I don’t want to embarrass myself by turning up to an interview which expects me to already know everything.

Just very lost right now
Look on reed and indeed - for jobs headed accounts assistant, trainee etc. It can be worth looking for temporary work while you learn more about career routes. For example in London there seem to be loads of purchase ledger positions at the moment - I've known people do well doing that as a first job.

Oh, and do take some time to do your research into the career and progression. ACCA is not particularly common in the big 4.
ni98m
Rep:
(Original post by ajj2000)
Look on reed and indeed - for jobs headed accounts assistant, trainee etc. It can be worth looking for temporary work while you learn more about career routes. For example in London there seem to be loads of purchase ledger positions at the moment - I've known people do well doing that as a first job.

Oh, and do take some time to do your research into the career and progression. ACCA is not particularly common in the big 4.
my only worry with is that obviously because i have just graduated what if I’m unable to do there requirements straight away? I’ll need training and some help. Will they provide that or will they expect me to already know how to do everything?
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ni98m)

Just very lost right now
Hi there,

Hoping I can offer some support.

Applying for trainee positions would be a good place to start or internships (which can be unpaid) but will help you gain the knowledge and experience you need to progress.

You could look at alternative financial roles within local banks and building societies to help you get your foot on the career ladder.

You could also look at the role of an accounting technician to help you get started - https://nationalcareers.service.gov....ing-technician

If you are willing to look outside of the 'big 4' as you have described in your original post there are still many ways to do you ACCA and work towards becoming a qualified accountant.

If you would like more in-depth careers advice you can chat live to a careers adviser online here - https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/webchat/chat/

Good luck with everything.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ni98m)
my only worry with is that obviously because i have just graduated what if I’m unable to do there requirements straight away? I’ll need training and some help. Will they provide that or will they expect me to already know how to do everything?
If an organisation needs someone with plenty of prior experience they won’t offer you a job. Often in a team it’s easy to support a trainee while they learn how to do a broader role.

its best to go to interviews with a positive mindset and ‘can do’ attitude.
ni98m
Rep:
(Original post by ajj2000)
If an organisation needs someone with plenty of prior experience they won’t offer you a job. Often in a team it’s easy to support a trainee while they learn how to do a broader role.

its best to go to interviews with a positive mindset and ‘can do’ attitude.
Thank you so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.23%
The paper was reasonable (134)
36.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.67%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.29%

Watched Threads