Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, it's my first time living in Founder's and I have never ordered food to here before so I don't know how it works. It's my first day here and I slept through dinner so was wondering, if I was to order food - do I go downstairs to the entrance or do they come upstairs?

I live on the 5th floor so how would it work. Sorry if I sound silly, just I don't know anyone here yet so needed some advice from someone who knows. On UberEats it gives you the option of 'deliver to door' apparently, but would that work if I put it in or would they end up waiting outside? And if so, where??
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, it's my first time living in Founder's and I have never ordered food to here before so I don't know how it works. It's my first day here and I slept through dinner so was wondering, if I was to order food - do I go downstairs to the entrance or do they come upstairs?

I live on the 5th floor so how would it work. Sorry if I sound silly, just I don't know anyone here yet so needed some advice from someone who knows. On UberEats it gives you the option of 'deliver to door' apparently, but would that work if I put it in or would they end up waiting outside? And if so, where??
Go down and meet them at reception or at the main door. They will have your number and call or you can just wait for them.
Presumably they would otherwise need a key to get in?
I would just meet them downstairs and then they can get off sooner.
Have the right money plus any tip.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Go down and meet them at reception or at the main door. They will have your number and call or you can just wait for them.
Presumably they would otherwise need a key to get in?
I would just meet them downstairs and then they can get off sooner.
Have the right money plus any tip.
Yeahh that makes sense. Thank you I was just looking to see if there was anyone who had lived here before with some advice that's all
Zweedle2
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Hi there! Sorry to use this old thread but I notice you said you lived on the fifth floor in founders - I'm about to live there this year and I was wondering what you thought of it (room / window size, convenience, etc.)? Thanks!
Zweedle2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Harry Potter 2.0)
Hey! I apologise again for using an old thread, but I am also about to move onto the 5th floor and I was wondering if you could tell me a bit more about it? I’m in a large founders room. Are they all turrets? My room is W546
Hiya Yes I think if you have a large room on the fifth floor that means it’s a turret, and if it’s an even room number then it’s most likely inward-facing (probably across the north quad 😍)(but don’t quote me on that!), so sounds like it’ll be awesome! I really liked my room on the 5th floor, it did take some getting used to (it was a bit of a trek if the lifts weren’t working and the dimensions were a little quirky) but it was very cosy and characterful! Let me know if you have any more questions
Last edited by ayylmao100; 2 weeks ago
Zweedle2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you for getting back! The 5th floor still has the same pantry and bathroom facilities as the other floors right?
No worries! And yeah it does
Harry Potter 2.0
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ayylmao100)
No worries! And yeah it does
Was you in a turret room?
Zweedle2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Was you in a turret room?
No I wasn’t in a turret as I was in a standard size room, but I’m pretty sure all the large rooms on the 5th floor are turrets. You can probably get in touch with Founders by email if you’d like to check though ([email protected])
Zweedle2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
do the rooms have wash basins like on the other floors?
Mine did, but I’m not sure if they all do. You can check this with Founders though.
lalaa64
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hiya! Glad someone else helped you out with the questions you had! I loved my room in founders (I was quite lucky to have a lovely long room on the 5th Floor) Just like ayylmao100 it may take some time getting used to if you're comparing it to the other accommodations on campus, as it isn't as glamorous and the stairs can be a bit tiring but it is such a beautiful building. I was on the East side rather than the West but I'm sure they're relatively the same.

All the rooms have a washbasin/sink and if you're in a turret you will definitely have a lot of extra space, hopefully, larger windows too! Most rooms have a funny small round window and a regular-sized one for ventilation - but some do get larger ones so I can't tell you for sure. If not, the room will still be great. You will be near the pantry area which has a hot water facility and a small fridge (it doesn't have a freezer which is unfortunate) a microwave and not too much cupboard space (so stock up on dry snacks in your room.) Bathrooms are just down the hall, with the 5th Floor ones on the East we had 3 down my end, all containing a toilet and shower in one as it's shared which should be fine if you have good roommates. Although I recommend bringing your own bleach, air freshener, and cleaning spray. There's also a laundry room on the ground floor but get a staff member or someone to show you where it is or take all your things, and bring something big to carry them in.

In terms of convenience, it depends on which department you're in but the location is great because you are in the heart of campus. It's right on top of a hill, which makes a bit of a trek here and there, but if walking around uphill doesn't bother you then it's perfect! You can never get bored of living in the building as there are always parts to discover there, and it's opposite the main library which is newly built and lovely to study in. But if you prefer a more quieter, private space to work and study in (or just to have some time out) there is Founder's library just downstairs from you inside the building. (this was really helpful during cold winters when you don't want to go outside.) It was open 24 hours just like the main one pre covid - I'm talking as a 2020 graduate but it's usually always open, if not hopefully available whenever you need it. There's also a chapel if you require a religious space, and an art gallery too. But in regards to convenience, I should hope you will find it to be good. There are beautiful green spaces surrounding Founder's too, by less than a minute's walk you can find yourself in the back garden-like area with water and benches everywhere. You can always have a walk through the greenery that is on campus. (If that's what you like!)

Also, there's a cafe on the ground floor for whenever you need a tea/coffee or a drink. (I do recommend going to the Hub or Kimiko for days when you don't enjoy the Founder's catered food options which you'll find once you move into uni.) These are subject to their own opening and closing times so get to know them for emergencies because it can help a lot

Generally speaking though, the rooms are spacious, it's full of character - you can decorate however you want as long as it doesn't damage the walls and is removable for when you move out (they recommend using a sticky tack or tape) Walking around the building and finding your way will take a little time getting used to but other than that I think it is a great first place to live! Best of luck with your new year and I hope it's everything you want it to be

P.S If you have any more questions feel free to message and I can always try and help out!
Last edited by lalaa64; 1 week ago
Harry Potter 2.0
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by lalaa64)
Hiya! Glad someone else helped you out with the questions you had! I loved my room in founders (I was quite lucky to have a lovely long room on the 5th Floor) Just like ayylmao100 it may take some time getting used to if you're comparing it to the other accommodations on campus, as it isn't as glamorous and the stairs can be a bit tiring but it is such a beautiful building. I was on the East side rather than the West but I'm sure they're relatively the same.

All the rooms have a washbasin/sink and if you're in a turret you will definitely have a lot of extra space, hopefully, larger windows too! Most rooms have a funny small round window and a regular-sized one for ventilation - but some do get larger ones so I can't tell you for sure. If not, the room will still be great. You will be near the pantry area which has a hot water facility and a small fridge (it doesn't have a freezer which is unfortunate) a microwave and not too much cupboard space (so stock up on dry snacks in your room.) Bathrooms are just down the hall, with the 5th Floor ones on the East we had 3 down my end, all containing a toilet and shower in one as it's shared which should be fine if you have good roommates. Although I recommend bringing your own bleach, air freshener, and cleaning spray. There's also a laundry room on the ground floor but get a staff member or someone to show you where it is or take all your things, and bring something big to carry them in.

In terms of convenience, it depends on which department you're in but the location is great because you are in the heart of campus. It's right on top of a hill, which makes a bit of a trek here and there, but if walking around uphill doesn't bother you then it's perfect! You can never get bored of living in the building as there are always parts to discover there, and it's opposite the main library which is newly built and lovely to study in. But if you prefer a more quieter, private space to work and study in (or just to have some time out) there is Founder's library just downstairs from you inside the building. (this was really helpful during cold winters when you don't want to go outside.) It was open 24 hours just like the main one pre covid - I'm talking as a 2020 graduate but it's usually always open, if not hopefully available whenever you need it. There's also a chapel if you require a religious space, and an art gallery too. But in regards to convenience, I should hope you will find it to be good. There are beautiful green spaces surrounding Founder's too, by less than a minute's walk you can find yourself in the back garden-like area with water and benches everywhere. You can always have a walk through the greenery that is on campus. (If that's what you like!)

Also, there's a cafe on the ground floor for whenever you need a tea/coffee or a drink. (I do recommend going to the Hub or Kimiko for days when you don't enjoy the Founder's catered food options which you'll find once you move into uni.) These are subject to their own opening and closing times so get to know them for emergencies because it can help a lot

Generally speaking though, the rooms are spacious, it's full of character - you can decorate however you want as long as it doesn't damage the walls and is removable for when you move out (they recommend using a sticky tack or tape) Walking around the building and finding your way will take a little time getting used to but other than that I think it is a great first place to live! Best of luck with your new year and I hope it's everything you want it to be

P.S If you have any more questions feel free to message and I can always try and help out!
Thank you so much for your help! It sounds amazing. I think my biggest concern was wondering whether my room would have those stairs to the raised space with a table and chairs. As it’s a large single, I thought it might but on google images, I’ve seen standard size looking rooms also just have table and chairs with no raised section so I don’t think I can be certain. I just love to plan things mentally in my head beforehand ahah.

Name:  F1EF997E-D48A-41D7-89C4-5275DAB6FC44.jpeg
Views: 4
Size:  8.2 KB
This room for example, looks a lot smaller than the other large singles that have the round section for table and chairs. I really hope I don’t pull the short straw here. Is it possible to determine the room using the layout of the building? I know on the lower floors, 344 is a turret room so will 546 not be? I have been in West346 and that was only standard single size so i might not be in a turret… ☹️
Last edited by Harry Potter 2.0; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (367)
84.17%
No (69)
15.83%

Watched Threads