MeaganLowe93
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all,

Are there any students that are or were pregnant during their degree? Are there any that didn't take time out? How was it? Were you able to complete placement whilst pregnant?

Thanks in advance
Ro1989
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I started my second year in September but my pat told me that I’m unable to repeat classes and with me being due in November said she didn’t think it was appropriate for me to stay in my cohort and to take the year off and start second year September 2020. I feel a bit peed off that they don’t make accommodations to you being pregnant. Another student in my cohort had her baby in August and has joined straight back as placements won’t begin until December so her baby will be a few months only then. Student finance have also told me they don’t pay once you come off the course and not entitled to maternity allowance due to living off student finance the past year which is a bummer. So I’m just waiting for baby to arrive now and have to join the year below to complete my second year
Ro1989
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I done two placements while pregnant I’m my first year. They do make accommodations to that, they have to do risk assessments to cover their own backs. So you tend to be put on placements where you don’t do much and no lifting or bending which you could say was a bonus. However i did miss being more involved but health and safety does come first.
Steph2464
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I have just found out I’m pregnant and due to start adult nursing in September do I tell the university before I start or start the course and wait to tell them so they don’t kick me off the course before I’ve started? I’m due in March 2021 and plan to have 2 weeks off then go back to finish off year one. Am I being naive ? Thanks
Tracey1995
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Steph2464)
I have just found out I’m pregnant and due to start adult nursing in September do I tell the university before I start or start the course and wait to tell them so they don’t kick me off the course before I’ve started? I’m due in March 2021 and plan to have 2 weeks off then go back to finish off year one. Am I being naive ? Thanks
Congrats on your good news and hope all goes well for you throughout your pregnancy okay.

Yes I would certainly tell then that your are expecting a baby in March, as they will probably do some risk assessments.
They will have a duty of care towards you due to being pregnant as they won't want you doing certain things that you shouldn't be doing ok, plus ask for bigger student nurses uniform as you get bigger okay as will take weeks to get them.

No you not being naive as long as you are upto going back as normally new mums needs more than two weeks from work after birth providing you go on and have a natural birth as well.
I gather you got plenty of good support in place to help you out as bare in mind still you'll be on shifts and away from the new child .
Steph2464
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Tracey1995)
Congrats on your good news and hope all goes well for you throughout your pregnancy okay.

Yes I would certainly tell then that your are expecting a baby in March, as they will probably do some risk assessments.
They will have a duty of care towards you due to being pregnant as they won't want you doing certain things that you shouldn't be doing ok, plus ask for bigger student nurses uniform as you get bigger okay as will take weeks to get them.

No you not being naive as long as you are upto going back as normally new mums needs more than two weeks from work after birth providing you go on and have a natural birth as well.
I gather you got plenty of good support in place to help you out as bare in mind still you'll be on shifts and away from the new child .
Hi thank you

This will be my second child I had my first whilst in the RAF and was a single mother from half way through my pregnancy.. my mum was the biggest help in the world and has my daughter regularly for me still. My new partner is over the moon it’s his first and we are 31 & 33 so have mortgages transport savings etc so the after birth won’t be a problem ( although extremely tiring) I’m most worried about being kicked off the course or just asked to start next September instead which will devastate me as I’ve waited so long after leaving the forces to get my qualifications and be able to start uni.. I’ve sent the nursing department an email just explaining and begging them to let me start in September haha. Will let you know how I get on. Thank you so much again xx
Leahlou1893
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’m in the exact same boat. I’ve emailed my pdt and awaiting a reply. Any luck on your side ?
Steph2464
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Leahlou1893)
I’m in the exact same boat. I’ve emailed my pdt and awaiting a reply. Any luck on your side ?
Hiya
I spoke to my tutor and she said with covid it’s u likely I will be allowed to go on placement with being pregnant. I can however complete the theory side. She advised me to start next September but financially it isn’t an option for me. So I’m going to start in September and just see how I get on. I have 3 weeks at the end of consolidation to hopefully catch up on placement hours missed. And come December things might have changed. I’m just going to go for it. What are you thinking? I’m due in March when’s your due date?
sgatek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m about to go into second year and I’ve just taken a pregnancy test, it was a faint 2 lines but it’s early days, I’m really worried that I’m going to be told to come back in a year but like many that isn’t great for me financially, I’m not really sure what to do about it. I’ve also not been with my partner very long and we’re both quite young, sorry if this is the wrong place to write this I’m just a bit lost at the minute 😕
Steph1992sd
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi I started the university of Cumbria For adult nursing, I’m pregnant and I’m also due in March 2021!! They give me a years maternity leave from March and I return in March 2022 to Finish completing my first year. I don’t know if there’s a possibility to return earlier but I’d say there probably is. They told me they will need to do risk assessments before placing me in my first placement in November. Xx
Steph1992sd
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Steph2464)
Hi, I started adult nursing at the university of Cumbria this Sept 2020, I’m also pregnant and due late March!! They told me they would have to do risk assessments before placing me in placement in Nov and I get a years maternity starting In March returning in March 2022 to finish off my first year. Not sure if il be able to come back earlier than that but I’m sure it would be fine. I’m nervous about coping doing a full on degree like this while I’m pregnant but so far I have no sickness and a lot of energy hopefully it lasts throughout my pregnancy and for you too! Xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (180)
14.53%
I'm not sure (57)
4.6%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (365)
29.46%
I have already dropped out (36)
2.91%
I'm not a current university student (601)
48.51%

Watched Threads