LingoHorse
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi,

My passport has expired and SFE have said they could not accept modern biometric driving licences because "they could easily be forged" but could accept old paper birth certificates! This is shocking because the courts and the police accept driving licences as proof of ID!

My question is, can my friend (teacher) or colleague (social worker) countersign my birth certificate?

The government website says basically anyone can countersign a birth certificate including professions such as photographers etc. The question is, what constitutes a "personal relationship"?

This is not the 1940's anymore, no one's doctor knows them personally anymore and SFE need to get to grips with accepting standard government issued photo ID's.
Last edited by LingoHorse; 2 months ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
SFE can’t accept driving licences because they don’t prove citizenship. Non British nationals can have a British driving license.

Your friends can countersign your ID if they’re professionals.
LingoHorse
Rep:
?
Neither does a birth certificate, a foreign national can have a British birth certificate!

Whereas the dvla verify citizenship when you apply for a driving license, it's stored on their database.And they prove Identification in any case so are a better way to verify the birth certificate than a countersignature.I just feel sorry for all the working class people that don't know anyone in these professions.
Last edited by LingoHorse; 2 months ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by LingoHorse)
Neither does a birth certificate though, a foreign national can have a British birth certificate.

Whereas the dvla verify citizenship when you apply for a driving license, it's stored on their database.And they prove Identification in any case so are a better way to verify the birth certificate than a countersignature.I just feel sorry for all the working class people that don't know anyone in these professions.
Most people applying for student finance will know a teacher
LingoHorse
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Most people applying for student finance will know a teacher
Unfortunately as is clear from a cursory Google search a lot of working professionals don't and have problems with applying for student finance. It is quite unacceptable that UK citizens paying tax and holding government issued biometric ID cannot get student finance because they need a countersignature, while at the same time non UK citizens can make fraudulent claims with ease.
LingoHorse
Rep:
?
Also what I don't understand is why I have to keep verifying my identity every single year I apply. I have already sent my passport in 3 times now over the last 3 years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?