How do you revise effectively for sociology?

Watch
Ams.xx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I’m currently on my second year of college and I study Level 3 Sociology and the exam board is OCR btw. Sociology wasn’t my first choice and I didn’t know what I was getting myself into. It started off easy but by the time we were learning the actual exam content. I got lost and literally gave up. I’m literally getting Us and Es in my assessments Which is my fault and also a recent family death that really got in the way of college work, anyways I actually want to try now but I don’t know how to revise. Reading from a booklet is not helping cuz all I end up doing is literally anything but revising sociology. I have to go over basically everything we did last year whilst also keeping up with this years content. My memory is sh*t. And I don’t know what to do. I doubt there’s any chance of me even getting an A or B.. I’d really settle for a D at this point. Please help me?!
Last edited by Ams.xx; 1 year ago
originalbiscotti
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
there was a few things i found really useful to help revise sociology:

1) mind maps - mind map theories, topics, past exam question answers. it helps to really condense the information, and once youve began to learn and understand the basic information its easier to expand with extra detail, real life application etc.

2) past exam questions - try doing a few each time you revise, you could mind map, bullet point or even write the entire answer, then go through textbooks/notes/mark schemes and see what you missed or what you could add. this was really helpful for me because it gave a clear guideline for what examiners expected for each type of question.
you could also ask your teacher to mark some for you and give feedback, from here you could act upon the feedback and ask them to re-read and give an updated mark (most teachers will be happy to do this! you're showing you care about your grades)

3) flashcards- you can find some premade on quizlet, but its probably most beneficial to make your own as you can target what youre struggling with. you can make key sociologists, key terms, key theories, again - once youve got the basics down it becomes so so so much easier, and you begin to associate people and terms with the topics.
i also printed some of my flashcards as i struggled to remember sociologists and what they said/did, and made a matching game, where i would match the sociologist to what they said/did, then check against the list on quizlet. i found it helped to keep my engaged with what i was learning.

just persevere! 30 minutes a week is better than doing nothing y'know? try doing half an hour of sociology work and then revise a different subject, or have a break, then have another 30 minutes.
try to find an engaging way - even watching youtube videos and taking notes on a topic, just reading notes or booklets wont help you learn the information.
Last edited by originalbiscotti; 1 year ago
Rick Ape
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Everyone learns in different ways. To get to your second year means that you've been doing something right thus far, so do what's worked for you the past.

If that doesn't work, have you tried a study group with your peers? It's a form of experiential learning and helps you talk through problems and questions to get someone else's point of view - often just saying it out loud enables your brain to put things in the right order.
harryisalegend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ams.xx)
So I’m currently on my second year of college and I study Level 3 Sociology and the exam board is OCR btw. Sociology wasn’t my first choice and I didn’t know what I was getting myself into. It started off easy but by the time we were learning the actual exam content. I got lost and literally gave up. I’m literally getting Us and Es in my assessments Which is my fault and also a recent family death that really got in the way of college work, anyways I actually want to try now but I don’t know how to revise. Reading from a booklet is not helping cuz all I end up doing is literally anything but revising sociology. I have to go over basically everything we did last year whilst also keeping up with this years content. My memory is sh*t. And I don’t know what to do. I doubt there’s any chance of me even getting an A or B.. I’d really settle for a D at this point. Please help me?!
Hi, I have a* quality written essays- (for aqa + ocr) email me and I’ll get back to you with them ; [email protected]
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (65)
66.33%
I don't have everything I need (33)
33.67%

Watched Threads