The Student Room Group

How do you live while doing postgrad course?

I am in my third and final year, and I’ve been thinking about post grad courses .. I want to apply to the PhDip social work .. but SFE have told me I’d get 10900 and that’s to cover uni fees and to live on !!

How the hell so people live ? You can’t get a maintenance loan ? Or claim childcare ?

HELP!
Do you mean a pgdip?

You should speak to the universities concerned to ask what funding is available for social work postgraduate courses. A pgdip isn’t eligible for the standard Postgraduate Loan from SFE. Only masters degree courses are eligible.

However social work is sometimes eligible for a different source of funding.
Original post by Selina4787
I am in my third and final year, and I’ve been thinking about post grad courses .. I want to apply to the PhDip social work .. but SFE have told me I’d get 10900 and that’s to cover uni fees and to live on !!

How the hell so people live ? You can’t get a maintenance loan ? Or claim childcare ?

HELP!

Hi there,

Can you confirm the name of the course and university so I can check the course eligibility?

Thanks,
Nihad
I had the same issue! I’m commuting in from home for my MSc year. Money is incredibly tight. Would be nice if PG loans worked in a similar way to UG with a separate tuition and maintenance loan.
Original post by CTLeafez
I had the same issue! I’m commuting in from home for my MSc year. Money is incredibly tight. Would be nice if PG loans worked in a similar way to UG with a separate tuition and maintenance loan.

Hi there,

Postgraduate Loans are contribution-based only which is why it's a set amount that all students are awarded.

Thanks,
Nihad
Original post by SFE Nihad
Hi there,

Postgraduate Loans are contribution-based only which is why it's a set amount that all students are awarded.

Thanks,
Nihad

Even with a part-time job, it can be quite difficult to study for a Masters without having parents with money...
Reply 6
Thank you for all your comments , I have decided against this route due to the financial impact.

Many thanks 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest