Turn on thread page Beta

AS Lifestyle? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    I know what you mean! I just don't get how some people do so much work!
    What is the standard number of lessons per subject, per week? I think our school tries to give us 4 lessons for each one every week but I don't get the full 4 in everything. I have one lesson clash each week and our number of History lessons was cut because there are only 2 people in the class.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how you could do so much work. There just isn't that much to be done. In my AS year I worked in my lessons, worked through my frees, and did a bit of work at home (1-5 hours a week at home). I managed to be ill and hold down a part time job with loads of overtime as well. Still had a lot of spare time. I guess I totalled about 20-22 hours per week working on college stuff.
    I had 3 subjects. I went down to 2 and had to catch up on 2 months of work and managed to do it in the same hours... Then in the end of the 2nd term I picked up a different AS and so went back to 3, but by this time had to catch up on over half a year of work in 1 subject. I did a maximum of 30 hours a week when catching up.
    All my subjects were mainly essays (Pyschology, Media, English Lit (dropped) and Sociology)
    What are you spending time doing?

ReputationRep:
    I have 4 hours 40 minutes of each subject a week. I do hardly any work outside that, it seems! When it comes to exam time, i do more work though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm always bored out of my brain during frees because I've got nothing to do - and I took essay subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smallthoms)
    What is the standard number of lessons per subject, per week? I think our school tries to give us 4 lessons for each one every week but I don't get the full 4 in everything. I have one lesson clash each week and our number of History lessons was cut because there are only 2 people in the class.
    At my school, our lessons last 1 hour 45 minutes each and we have 3 lessons per week or 5 hours 15 minutes for each subject, but I only have 2 lessons a week or 3 hours 30 minutes of French because of the small class. 2 people in history?!! Oh my God, we have 13! My French class is my smallest and there are 5 of us, but one of the boys has a timetable clash and misses half the lessons, and one of the girls seems to just turn up when she feels like it, so there are usually just 3 of us. I get bored in frees too- well, actually, I don't anymore cos I just go home!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    At my school, our lessons last 1 hour 45 minutes each and we have 3 lessons per week or 5 hours 15 minutes for each subject, but I only have 2 lessons a week or 3 hours 30 minutes of French because of the small class. 2 people in history?!! Oh my God, we have 13! My French class is my smallest and there are 5 of us, but one of the boys has a timetable clash and misses half the lessons, and one of the girls seems to just turn up when she feels like it, so there are usually just 3 of us. I get bored in frees too- well, actually, I don't anymore cos I just go home!
    There are 7 in my French class and I don't want it getting any smaller because I'll have to do more reading out!

The 2 people in History isn't so bad because my friend answers all the questions and I get to go to sleep. One teacher likes to go off on really long tangents anyway so we don't do much work. As for the other teacher, she makes us cups of tea and has us doing cutting-out and colouring-in our sheets. In short, I never have to use my brain very much.

As for frees, I only get to go home if my last lesson is free. The timetabling is really annoying because if I tried to walk home, I'd have to turn back almost as soon as I got there in time for the next lesson.

ReputationRep:
    just to put some real time predictions into this thread:

most exam board recommend you spend 60 hours studying a unit - most AS-Levels are made up of 3 units, majority of students these days study 4 AS-Levels therefore between now and May / June assuming that all AS levels wil be examinated in June you are expected to study:

60 x 3 x Y where Y is the number of AS's you study with four being the average thats a total of 720 hours!!! wow sounds a lot but divide it by the number of weeks you are at college between september and May (approx 30 full weeks study) then its only 24 hours per week which is not really a lot as most students spend 25 hours a week at school/college so in theory an hour per night 2/3 hours at weekend is enough 40 hours per seems a little hardcore- i couldnt be arsed to mark 40 hours work per week from all my students it would take forever

regards mr j

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smallthoms)
    There are 7 in my French class and I don't want it getting any smaller because I'll have to do more reading out!
    Lol yeah. There were originally 7 in my class as well, but 2 dropped out within the first few weeks. The majority of lessons are with 3 of us, but we have had a few that were just me and one boy. That wasn't too good as he's really shy and doesn't say anything unless tortured, so it was just me doing all the work all lesson. In my school last year, there was 1 girl doing A2 French all on her own! I so don't want that to happen to me, but I actually think there's quite a good chance it will...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrJ)

60 x 3 x Y where Y is the number of AS's you study with four being the average thats a total of 720 hours!!! wow sounds a lot but divide it by the number of weeks you are at college between september and May (approx 30 full weeks study) then its only 24 hours per week which is not really a lot as most students spend 25 hours a week at school/college so in theory an hour per night 2/3 hours at weekend is enough 40 hours per seems a little hardcore- i couldnt be arsed to mark 40 hours work per week from all my students it would take forever

regards mr j
    Oh dear. That makes my 16-17 hours (14-15 hours of lessons) seem a bit small!

(Original post by kellywood_5)
    Lol yeah. There were originally 7 in my class as well, but 2 dropped out within the first few weeks. The majority of lessons are with 3 of us, but we have had a few that were just me and one boy. That wasn't too good as he's really shy and doesn't say anything unless tortured, so it was just me doing all the work all lesson. In my school last year, there was 1 girl doing A2 French all on her own! I so don't want that to happen to me, but I actually think there's quite a good chance it will...
    I think that that boy in your class is my long-lost twin! I am exactly the same. It gets a bit embarrassing but the class is nice, so it's ok. It was especially bad on Thurs: our scary student teacher was staring at me when it was my turn to read and it all went a bit disastrously. I physically couldn't speak!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkly_tiara)
    Hey!

Hope everyone is ok on this freezing night! I was just wondering how people feel they are settling into college life! How are the workloads for people? I seem to be continuosly working and studying for frequent tests and homework papers and have little time for much else? Is anyone in a similar situation? I would predict that i am doing about 25 hours of study a week out of college hours and 40 hours in college a week. Is it right to be studying for 65- 70 hours a week in total? is this the key for AS success? Please comment on this!! And incase you were wondering which courses i am studying then its biology, chemistry, law, english literature and geology! Thanks!

Lou
    xxx
    hey!
    ive settled in2 college quite well but i dont get as much homework as u do! im takin chemistry,psycology,maths and english! i only get one peice of homework a week for each subject apart from psychology! though 5 hours study is reccomend for succes outside the subject!

ReputationRep:
    All work and no play makes you a dull student.

I spend a lot of time working, but only buckle down in exam months or the month before, in preparation! You are doing a nutso level of studying, but if you can take it, do that. I think its important to remember that you will crack eventually however, jsut the rate at which you approach breaking point is accelerated by workload!

ReputationRep:
    heey am doing classical civ, history, psychology and pe recently i've had a lot of work but i think it only seemed like a lot coz i have 2 jobs and play hockey which takes up most of my saturday. this week isn't too bad tho. i hardly ever get hw from psychology yay
    one of my history teachers is crap too! all i do in her lesson is play skittles with the girl who sits next to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scout)
    one of my history teachers is crap too! all i do in her lesson is play skittles with the girl who sits next to me
    I have a crap history teacher too- I feel your pain!

ReputationRep:
    Ok . . . I'm doing A2 and do no work outside of lessons. Me thinks I should get into shape. I have no discipline though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ames123)
    Ok . . . I'm doing A2 and do no work outside of lessons. Me thinks I should get into shape. I have no discipline though
    Don't worry, I'm in the same position as you!

ReputationRep:
    Snap

ReputationRep:
    Whoa! If you carry on like that you'll burn out! take it a bit easier hun, or you'll make yourself ill and not do as well as you're capable of. Its true that the more work you do outside school the better, but your health is much more valueable than a sheet with grades on.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing more work this year than I did last year, yet my teachers are still trying to kick me off my courses. You can't be kicked off a course if your average grade is a D/E can you?

ReputationRep:
    Chill!

I think I did a lot more work then I should've for GCSE, then when it came to A Levels I lost the enthusiasm to learn, but luckily it came back to me before and i got an ABC.

Currently I do bout half work/half talk in my frees then like 1 hour a day doing homework/revision. Nearer to exam time I'll try and at least 2 hours a day.

ReputationRep:
    I found AS SUCH a doss, probably because of suddenly going from GCSE where there were so many subjects to doing only 4, 3 of which came very naturally to me (physics maths and further maths). I guess i am lucky that maths is my strong subject and I am able to do 2 a levels in it! I found in GCSEs that no matter how much you tired it always felt like you were neglecting a subject because there were so many! Also the fact that there is less time in lessons and more just chilling makes it a much more relaxed atmosphere! i would say I spent maybe an hour a week doing homework. Although I did get in trouble once or twice for not doing politics essays, but i managed to scrape an A so all is good!

Also I think it is important to add that A2 is even more of a doss...no damn politics essays!!!

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.