The Student Room Group

Extra-curricular activities

My sixth form is pushing us all to do extra-curricular activities for when we want to apply for uni or apprenticeships but because i take a school bus home i’m unable to do anything after school which is when all the activities listed on the website take place. I live with my dad and he can’t pick me up until late so asking him for a lift would be difficult. I’ve looked around facebook for groups, clubs, societies in my local area but there seems to be nothing being offered to people my age unless i wanted to do sport but nothing is beginner level. Therefore i need to ask if anyone has any advice on searching for any activities in countryside towns?
Do you have any ideas about what you’d like to do after sixth form? What subject or career you’re interested in?
Universities like to see that you have thought about the subject you want to study beyond the A level specification, and you can do that at home. For example, read a book, watch a Tedtalk, read journal articles, complete a MOOC (try Futurelearn or courser), and this website has been put together by Cambridge uni to hope you think beyond the spec ready for uni -https://www.myheplus.com It also has links to other websites so will give you some more ideas. There are also summer holiday courses you might be able to go on - some cost more than others. You would need to have some idea of what subject you would like to study though. Examples of these include Sutton Trust ( which are free if you meet certain criteria) Smallpeice courses (correct spelling) for engineering, London University Taster Days etc. Also don't dismiss clubs which are full of older people! You might find something interesting e.g. if you want to study History there is probably a local history society, and we have an astronomy club near us if you are interested in Physics, the RSPB have local societies if you are interested in biology.

This is called 'co-curricular' rather than extra-curricular, and stuff linked to your academic subject should make up the bulk of your personal statement.

For your personal statement you need to show you have thought about what you have read/watched rather than just say you have read/watched it.

Try to link somethings together - e.g. I was interested in x in my A level so I read this book and that made me wonder about y so I watched a Ted talk, but I disagree with this part of it because..... This was backed up by the MOOC about something-or-other etc etc.

Extra Curricular stuff is useful if it can show you have developed certain skills which might be useful for uni (e.g. perseverance, team work). Are there any clubs at school that happen at lunchtime? Could you get involved mentoring younger students, particularly in the area you want to study? Is there a hobby you can pursue at home which is linked to the subject you would like to study (does depend on what you want to go on and do though). Maybe you could volunteer locally - in a charity shop, with the Brownies, clearing up the local pond - some things you might be too young to do, but keep looking and I'm sure you could find something.

With a bit of thought and research you should be able to come up with things for your uni application which you can still do within your circumstances
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
all clubs are done after school at my sixth form and we’re banned from interacting with the lower school. i live in a very rural area so finding a place to volunteer is incredibly difficult. i feel as though i’m at a disadvantage
Original post by Birdhouse
all clubs are done after school at my sixth form and we’re banned from interacting with the lower school. i live in a very rural area so finding a place to volunteer is incredibly difficult. i feel as though i’m at a disadvantage

Original post by PQ
Do you have any ideas about what you’d like to do after sixth form? What subject or career you’re interested in?

Do you know what you want to do after sixth form?

none of us can help if you don’t explain what your ec activities would be *for*
Reply 5
nothing seems to interest me
Reply 6
(Original post by PQ)Do you know what you want to do after sixth form?

none of us can help if you don’t explain what your ec activities would be *for*

nothing has ever interested me enough to consider a career in it
nothing seems to interest me

Ok

Then that’s what you need to do with your free time. Do some research into different degrees and careers. Try to arrange work experience and shadowing and interviews with people in a range of careers. Finding out what you don’t want to do is a worthwhile use of your time. Get a weekend job (and get organised so you get all your studying done during the week).

If transport is a problem where you live then get saving for driving lessons and insurance/a car.

What are you doing in your free time at the moment if nothing interests you ?
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
Ok

Then that’s what you need to do with your free time. Do some research into different degrees and careers. Try to arrange work experience and shadowing and interviews with people in a range of careers. Finding out what you don’t want to do is a worthwhile use of your time. Get a weekend job (and get organised so you get all your studying done during the week).

If transport is a problem where you live then get saving for driving lessons and insurance/a car.

What are you doing in your free time at the moment if nothing interests you ?

sort of just being dragged along where my parents go. i don’t have the trust in myself to drive anyway since i’m prone to flinching and distractions
My sixth form is pushing us all to do extra-curricular activities for when we want to apply for uni or apprenticeships but because i take a school bus home i’m unable to do anything after school which is when all the activities listed on the website take place. I live with my dad and he can’t pick me up until late so asking him for a lift would be difficult. I’ve looked around facebook for groups, clubs, societies in my local area but there seems to be nothing being offered to people my age unless i wanted to do sport but nothing is beginner level. Therefore i need to ask if anyone has any advice on searching for any activities in countryside towns?

If you were pretty set on doing some extracurricular stuff, is there any clubs at lunchtime? If not, you could create one. :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending