The Student Room Group

Russell Group hard and soft A level subjects

With the exception of subjects like Citizenship, Critical Thinking and General Studies, most Unis are not as fussy about A level subjects as people assume. The Russell Group have now ditched their Facilitating A level list, as it was often misunderstood to mean that these were the only subjects they valued, which was never the case.

Where Univerities do have "non preferred" A level subjects, they will be upfront about it on their websites. This should hopefully end the debate about whether subjects like Sociology, Psychology or Law are "too soft" for top unis in the UK.
(edited 4 years ago)
Glad to read this. Let's hope this will stop the 'hard' and 'soft' A-level rumours on TSR.
It always baffles me that this was a thing in the first place. Most subjects are just as academically rigorous as eachother, just in different ways.
Most if not all RG universities have accepted the likes of Economics, Law, Politics, Psychology and Sociology as acceptable subjects and always have. The problem has been the Russell Group and their informed choices which has suggested these facilitating subjects. Part of the problem is that it hasnt been followed in the way it was intended. The facilitating list was a list of the subjects most often included as necessary subjects for others. As an example Economics is never shown as a required subject whilst Maths is required for things like Computer Science, Economics and Engineering hence why it was classed as a facilitating subject. It doesnt mean Economics is a weak subject but students and very often schools have been using it that way. The only way to know what subjects will be needed will be to check the individual course requirements.
As someone who is applying to study Sociology at university, and with an A-level in Sociology, this brings me so much peace to read this. All A-level subjects are academically challenging in their own ways; subjects like Sociology, Psychology, History etc. involve a lot of essay writing, critical thinking and being able to evaluate which is an extremely valued skill at university
Here is what the Russell Group actually meant taken from an old informed choices booklet

Which subjects can give me the most options?Many courses at university level build on knowledge and skills which you will gain while still at school. Where this is the case, universities need to make sure that all the students they admit have prepared themselves in the best way to cope with their chosen course. For this reason, some university courses may require you to have studied a specific subject prior to entry, others may not. However, there are some subjects that are required more often than others. These subjects are sometimes referred to as facilitating subjects
Reply 6
Original post by amelia_jasinski
As someone who is applying to study Sociology at university, and with an A-level in Sociology, this brings me so much peace to read this. All A-level subjects are academically challenging in their own ways; subjects like Sociology, Psychology, History etc. involve a lot of essay writing, critical thinking and being able to evaluate which is an extremely valued skill at university

Sociology is a respected subject for university entrance. Even the mighty LSE have it on their list of preferred A level subjects, and I’m not aware of any uni that doesn’t accept it
Original post by harrysbar
Sociology is a respected subject for university entrance. Even the mighty LSE have it on their list of preferred A level subjects, and I’m not aware of any uni that doesn’t accept it

Me neither, I've only heard the rumours from people on TSR - no where else
your right, but think of this for a second. if two people apply for a chemistry course with exactly the same grades and personal statements etc, but one is doing chemistry, maths, biology, and the other is doing chemistry, maths... and media... which one do you think the uni will pick. assume their is just one spot available.
Reply 9
Original post by you_alt_right?
your right, but think of this for a second. if two people apply for a chemistry course with exactly the same grades and personal statements etc, but one is doing chemistry, maths, biology, and the other is doing chemistry, maths... and media... which one do you think the uni will pick. assume their is just one spot available.

Chemistry is different because there are certain specific entry requirements which unis clearly state - unis will require A level Chemistry and some state a preference for people with Biology or Maths.

We are talking about degrees where no particular A levels are required (like Law for example) - and people mistakenly think they will prefer English Lit over Sociology say, when in fact they don't care.
Original post by harrysbar
Chemistry is different because there are certain specific entry requirements which unis clearly state - unis will require A level Chemistry and some state a preference for people with Biology or Maths.

We are talking about degrees where no particular A levels are required (like Law for example) - and people mistakenly think they will prefer English Lit over Sociology say, when in fact they don't care.

but say two people exactly the same in every way aside from those subjects applied for the same spot, do you really think the sociology guy will get it over the english lit guy?
It wont make any difference. That is why Sociology is on university's preferred list. Media was a bad choice. It isnt on the preferred list. Taken from UCL list
Mathematics
Mathematics (MEI)
Further Mathematics
Pure Mathematics
Modern Greek
Modern Hebrew
Moving Image Arts (CCEA specification)
Music
Sociology
Spanish
Statistics
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by you_alt_right?
but say two people exactly the same in every way aside from those subjects applied for the same spot, do you really think the sociology guy will get it over the english lit guy?

Two people are never exactly the same. LSE list of preferred and non preferred subjects (under subject combinations)

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Admissions-Information

Quick Reply

Latest