The Student Room Group

Is a non-STEM degree worth it?

Not going to uni lol just curious.
Original post by kblood12
Not going to uni lol just curious.

Of course it is. STEM is just a function to enable humans to enjoy non-STEM life. There is nothing in STEM that delivers anything except the opportunity for humans to spend more of their lives doing what we enjoy, which is non-STEM. We design power sources, machines, healthcare, infrastructure etc entirely so we can enjoy art, music, literature, wider human interaction through culture, travel, the natural environment (not doing a very good job at this bit at the moment).

STEM is the servant, non-STEM is what we are collectively living for :wink:
lmao even if you do have your head where the sun doesn't shine when it comes to degrees and whether or not their worth it, there are loads of non-stem degrees with high earning potential, like economics, which is, i assume, what you base your ideas on
Reply 3
Original post by HoldThisL
lmao even if you do have your head where the sun doesn't shine when it comes to degrees and whether or not their worth it, there are loads of non-stem degrees with high earning potential, like economics, which is, i assume, what you base your ideas on

Economics at degree level involves a lot of mathematics, it may not be completely STEM, but it's heavily STEM-based in that respect.
Original post by Tolgarda
Economics at degree level involves a lot of mathematics, it may not be completely STEM, but it's heavily STEM-based in that respect.

i know i study it and if you try to include yourself in the stem gang you will get laughed it

plenty of memes on the subject exist
Depends on what you want to do in life. STEM degree is worthless if your dream job involves history or art, but is vital if you want to study maths or science.
Reply 6
i know i study it and if you try to include yourself in the stem gang you will get laughed it

plenty of memes on the subject exist

Ah, fair enough. There you go then. Personally, I would think that a lot of it fits into STEM, but I guess it's not just STEM that rules after all.
Yes.
But a STEM degree is necessary if you want to apply for STEM jobs.
Ah, fair enough. There you go then. Personally, I would think that a lot of it fits into STEM, but I guess it's not just STEM that rules after all.

very few economics students will get through three years without having taken at least a few non-quantitative modules. although econometrics and mathematical economics are increasingly prevalent, most will study applied economics, history and/or theory at some point which the traditional stem student wouldn't have to do
Reply 9
very few economics students will get through three years without having taken at least a few non-quantitative modules. although econometrics and mathematical economics are increasingly prevalent, most will study applied economics, history and/or theory at some point which the traditional stem student wouldn't have to do

While that is true, I just think that economics has enough mathematics in it to be classed as STEM or extremely close to it, especially because of things like econometrics (which you mentioned).
While that is true, I just think that economics has enough mathematics in it to be classed as STEM or extremely close to it, especially because of things like econometrics (which you mentioned).

yes but it doesn't compare to a stem degree which entirely avoids the non stem aspects of economics

read my other replies
yes but it doesn't compare to a stem degree which entirely avoids the non stem aspects of economics

Fair enough. Yes, I see your point.
Fair enough. Yes, I see your point.

it's best just to take your paid internship and declare war on the management students instead

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending