Land economy personal statement, A-levels and GCSEs Watch

originals416
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello,

I'm thinking about applying for either land economy or geography in the next week.

My personal statement is written for geography and the first sentence even includes "geography". I was wondering if LE will mind this?!

I don't study maths or economics. Will they hate be for this?

My personal statement also includes a lot of information on cultural geography alongside economic geography but no reference to law.

It would be really helpful if anyone gets the time to respond.

Thanks
Ashleyh12345
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by fruitsalads)
Hello,

I'm thinking about applying for either land economy or geography in the next week.

My personal statement is written for geography and the first sentence even includes "geography". I was wondering if LE will mind this?!

I don't study maths or economics. Will they hate be for this?

My personal statement also includes a lot of information on cultural geography alongside economic geography but no reference to law.

It would be really helpful if anyone gets the time to respond.

Thanks
Hate you - no. Prefer someone to have at least one - yes. You'd need a strong justification of 'why LE' given that, when you picked your A-levels, you weren't interested in either of two subjects they consider to form the groundwork for the course.
Reading this post, I'm inclined to ask you why you want to read LE. I get the proximity but LE and geography are reasonably distinct courses and it looks a lot like Geography might be a better option for you unless there's something in LE you're desperate to be studying that Geography wouldn't offer you.
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You're deciding between Land Economy and Geography at Cambridge, but you've decided on Geography elsewhere?
originals416
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
You're deciding between Land Economy and Geography at Cambridge, but you've decided on Geography elsewhere?
Yes! I'm not keen on physical geography which is part of the Cambridge course.
originals416
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ashleyh12345)
Hate you - no. Prefer someone to have at least one - yes. You'd need a strong justification of 'why LE' given that, when you picked your A-levels, you weren't interested in either of two subjects they consider to form the groundwork for the course.
Reading this post, I'm inclined to ask you why you want to read LE. I get the proximity but LE and geography are reasonably distinct courses and it looks a lot like Geography might be a better option for you unless there's something in LE you're desperate to be studying that Geography wouldn't offer you.
I believe studying LE will eliminate the duller bits of geography. I'm also really interested in law but have no work experience so can't study a law specific course.
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yes! I'm not keen on physical geography which is part of the Cambridge course.
Hmm, if you're not keen one arguably large part of the course, then I would make sure you really consider the courses that you plan on applying to. It seems that Land Economy contains parts of human and social sciences that interest you, like urbanisation and economic geography, so I would say that's a better-suited course to you.
Last edited by Deggs_14; 3 months ago
originals416
Rep:
?
Hmm, if you're not keen one arguably large part of the course, then I would make sure you really consider the courses that you plan on applying to. It seems that Land Economy contains parts of human and social sciences that interest you, like urbanisation and economic geography, so I would say that's a better-suited course to you.
That's exactly my thinking. There are parts of the geography course that I'd love but also parts I only tolerate. Land economy looks to be incredibly interesting. My fear is that without the correct A-levels they might not give me an interview where I can prove my desire to do it.
originals416
Rep:
?
That's exactly my thinking. There are parts of the geography course that I'd love but also parts I only tolerate. Land economy looks to be incredibly interesting. My fear is that without the correct A-levels they might not give me an interview where I can prove my desire to do it.
I'm predicted A* in geography, A* in chemistry and A in biology
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'm predicted A* in geography, A* in chemistry and A in biology
Ah, I'm similar to you. I'm predicted A* geography, A* french and A chemistry.
originals416
Rep:
?
Ah, I'm similar to you. I'm predicted A* geography, A* french and A chemistry.
Are you applying to land economy? Which college?
Ashleyh12345
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I believe studying LE will eliminate the duller bits of geography. I'm also really interested in law but have no work experience so can't study a law specific course.
Ah, I see. Then LE makes some sense. Make sure you've got a good argument for why you didn't do Maths/Econ. A 'wild' idea (but actually one I've seen work in similar cirumstances with other courses where people have had a change of heart part-way through sixth form) would be to apply now and, if it doesn't work, rather than settle for something you don't want to do somewhere you don't want to be, take a gap year and do those extra two A-levels (or at least AS). They can't really ask for greater commitment to a subject than that!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (66)
15.14%
1 (58)
13.3%
2 (56)
12.84%
3 (91)
20.87%
4 (88)
20.18%
5 (77)
17.66%