The Student Room Group

First-Class Honours - 70% / 80% / 90% - Does it make any difference?

Hi guys!
I'm a computer science student (undergraduate) with the 87% and 78% average from 1st and 2nd year respectively.
I'm wondering if it's worth it to get above 70% average at the end of my 3rd year.

Any thoughts?
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah, why not aim for a first?
Unless you're applying for PhDs no one cares if you get much over 60. If you can get high marks without sacrificing extracurriculars then go for it though.
Reply 3
Yes it's worth it.. You're doing it already why would you ask?? Just aim for a first. Everyone has a degree nowadays so it's worth aiming for a higher one. I don't think it matters about the actual percentage all that much, but maybe if you're pursing academia.
Reply 4
Thanks! The thing is that I would like to do my Master's degree either at Oxford (part-time) / Imperial College London (full-time) or Warwick (full-time).
My current uni is quite average (De Montfort university).

I don't know if aiming for a percentage higher than 70% (1st) such as 85% (also 1st) might help me during the recruitment process at any of these universities.

+ I try do as much extracurriculars as I can
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Sebdmu
Thanks! The thing is that I would like to do my Master's degree either at Oxford (part-time) / Imperial College London (full-time) or Warwick (full-time).
My current uni is quite average (De Montfort university).

I don't know if aiming for a percentage higher than 70% (1st) such as 85% (also 1st) might help me during the recruitment process at any of these universities.

+ I try do as much extracurriculars as I can

If you're aiming for prestigeous universities then you want as high of a percentage as you can get. There's so many things that can bring your grade down in third year. Assuming that your final grade is weighted between 2nd and 3rd year then 62% will just get you a first. That might not sound like that much but a bad exam or two, or your final year project going a bit to pot can really mess things up.

Just keep doing your best, at the end of the day that's all you can do.
Aim for 80%. Then if you have a terrible exam or your dissertation all goes wrong you have some leeway to still get a comfortable first.
Hello Sebdmu,

This is Jon Ellison from De Montfort Uni.
My advice is to aim for the highest grades as possible. It usually helps to gain the best qualification and in case, as others said, one receives grades lower than expected on certain modules. But it does appear that you're doing well. Keep up the good work. :smile:
Original post by Sebdmu
Hi guys!
I'm a computer science student (undergraduate) with the 87% and 78% average from 1st and 2nd year respectively.
I'm wondering if it's worth it to get above 70% average at the end of my 3rd year.

A definite yes, if you are capable of that, then do it.

The basic "get over 70%, get a 1st" looks very achievable for you, but along with that goes your transcript and references from your lecturers and project supervisors when you go for jobs or PhD positions. Being a star student, being near the top of the year gets noticed (sometimes oficially, e.g. A Deans List) and having a strong reference and a transcript that goes up, not down over time can be the decider when a potential supervisor has to decide whether to invest £100k in your PhD funding or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending