The Student Room Group

Help with Austria, Hungary, Czech Republic and Slovakia itinerary

Hi,

I’m planning a trip to Austria, Hungary, Czech Republic and Slovakia next year.

I’m planning to cover the following cities (not in a particular order)

Budapest (Hungary)

Prague and Cesky Krumlov (Czech Republic)

Vienna, Salzburg, Halstatt (Austria)

Bratislava (Slovakia)

I have been researching train routes and itineraries but have been quite confused. because there seems to be numerous possible train routes and itinerary options.

Can anyone please help suggest an itinerary either starting in Budapest or in Prague?

Also, I understand that some people say that Bratislava can be skipped as there is not a lot to do there. However, I have read that the fact that it is significantly different to Vienna makes it interesting to visit. So I am looking to either do a day trip there from Vienna or just spend one night there.

Thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
Personally I'd start in Budapest, go to Bratislava - Prague - Vienna - Salzburg.They are all direct trains, I'd probably investigate an Interrail pass as well
Original post by LTEcactus
Personally I'd start in Budapest, go to Bratislava - Prague - Vienna - Salzburg.They are all direct trains, I'd probably investigate an Interrail pass as well

Thanks

So I guess that with Cesky Krumlov and Hallstatt included, it would be Budapest- Bratislava - Prague - Cesky Krumlov - Vienna - Salzburg - Hallstatt

I am planning to go for between 12-14 days.

How many days do you suggest I should spend in each city?
Prague I just walked around the whole time. Everything's interesting.
Original post by Baron of Sealand
Prague I just walked around the whole time. Everything's interesting.

Thanks everyone for all of your feedback, suggestions and advice.

I am now trying to decide the following and would like to ask for your suggestions and advice regarding this the following:

Should I stay in Prague for 4 nights and 3 full days OR for 3 nights and 2 full days?

Should I stay in Vienna for 4 nights and 3 full days OR for 3 nights and 2 full days?

Should I stay in Salzburg for 3 nights and 2 full days OR for 2 nights and 1 full day?

Should I stay in Budapest for 4 nights and 3 full days or for 3 nights and 2 full days?
Original post by midnight999
Thanks everyone for all of your feedback, suggestions and advice.

I am now trying to decide the following and would like to ask for your suggestions and advice regarding this the following:

Should I stay in Prague for 4 nights and 3 full days OR for 3 nights and 2 full days?

Should I stay in Vienna for 4 nights and 3 full days OR for 3 nights and 2 full days?

Should I stay in Salzburg for 3 nights and 2 full days OR for 2 nights and 1 full day?

Should I stay in Budapest for 4 nights and 3 full days or for 3 nights and 2 full days?

I travel very quickly so I usually stay in each place for a short time.
Reply 6
a good recommendation I have would be to get coaches from the countries it's usually a lot cheaper.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest