Mom2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Oxford medicine weighs BMAT and GCSE equally at the pre-interview stage, which means it's a risky choice for an IB student without GCSE.

Does anyone know whether Cambridge colleges use a weighted average of A-levels (or IB) and BMAT (or UCAT)? Does this vary by college? Thanks!
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Mom2)
Oxford medicine weighs BMAT and GCSE equally at the pre-interview stage, which means it's a risky choice for an IB student without GCSE.

Does anyone know whether Cambridge colleges use a weighted average of A-levels (or IB) and BMAT (or UCAT)? Does this vary by college? Thanks!
Oxford will have a way of scoring IB applicants, so give them a ring and ask what it is if it is not on their website.
Mom2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Oxford will have a way of scoring IB applicants, so give them a ring and ask what it is if it is not on their website.
Dear Ganfyd, one would have thought so, but they explicitly answer the question on their website stating that they will only consider the BMAT. I wrote them, not so good about calling them. Thanks much for your response.
Razza2000
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Mom2)
Dear Ganfyd, one would have thought so, but they explicitly answer the question on their website stating that they will only consider the BMAT. I wrote them, not so good about calling them. Thanks much for your response.
Hi, I am in the same boat as you. I did Highers and Advanced Highers. I think they double your BMAT weighting for deciding who to give interviews instead of looking at GCSEs. After interviews, they look at your whole application "holistically" so will take into account other grades there.
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Mom2)
It may well be that they just use BMAT, but this may be an advantage if you have a good BMAT score
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Razza2000)
After interviews, they look at your whole application "holistically" so will take into account other grades there.
True, but interview will be by far the most important factor at that stage.
Razza2000
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by nexttime)
True, but interview will be by far the most important factor at that stage.
I would like to think that I didn't do exams for nothing though.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Razza2000)
I would like to think that I didn't do exams for nothing though.
Meeting entry requirements?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (162)
60.9%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.14%
No- I want it (74)
27.82%
No- I don't want it (19)