Films and Firsts: DamnShinoda's GYG 2019/20

Watch
damnshinoda
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello!
I've been on this site for almost four years (does that make me a TSR veteran?) and somehow still haven't ever done a 'Grow Your Grades'!

Since I've just started my second year of undergrad - where things start to actually 'count' towards my final grade Image - I figured it'd be the perfect time to give it a go!

A bit about me:
  • I'm a Film Studies student
  • I'm thinking about becoming a Film/Media teacher, but I'm also considering looking into Film Journalism!
  • I go to uni about 4 hours away from home, which I (still) have pretty mixed feelings about - even a year in!

I'd say I've always been a pretty decent student (A Level/GCSE Grades below), but ongoing issues with mental health have held me back a lot so its really important to me that when working on my grades, I'm also looking after my mental health. Image
Spoiler:
Show
A Levels (2018):
Film Studies: A
English Language: A
Psychology: B

GCSEs (2016):
Media Studies: A*
English Literature: A*
History: A*
English Language: A
Business Studies: A
Additional Science: A
Latin: B
Maths: B
Statistics: B
Core Science: B
ICT: B

I feel like I've slacked a bit over the past year (with a lot of getting-assignments-done-even-if-they're-bad), and whilst there's a lot of assignments that I'm dreading over the next few months, I'm really hoping to pick it up again! Image

Below are last year's grades. Whilst they weren't awful there were definitely a couple of slip ups, and this year I'd really like to get into the 'firsts' (70+) ground a little more.
Spoiler:
Show
Last Year's Grades:
Module 1 : 70

Module 2 : 62

Module 3 : 57.9

Module 4 : 63.83

Module 5 : 65

Module 6 : 74

So that's it!Image

My modules this semester are:
  • New Hollywood Cinema
  • British Film and TV Industries
  • Screenwriting 2: Writing the Hero

I'm looking forward to updating and finding some motivation through this thread. Its rare that I see arts students getting involved in GYG, so this is my attempt at making that change! Image

See you soon!
Last edited by damnshinoda; 1 year ago
SilentSolitaire
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wow, sounds like a nice set of modules! What's been your favourite part of your degree so far?
damnshinoda
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by SilentSolitaire)
Wow, sounds like a nice set of modules! What's been your favourite part of your degree so far?
That's a good question!

Since I've always been good at pretty traditional academics (revising for and sitting exams), I think its been a real push for me to be in a subject like Film! Since we don't have exams (much to my dismay :lol:), its been really interesting to practice being assessed in so many new ways. I've had the chance to do longer, more carefully planned essays; creative projects like video essays, blogs, and podcasts; debates (which were undoubtedly my favourite), and presentations and event pitches!

My favourite part has definitely been getting to broaden the ways in which I learn
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (712)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (898)
42.78%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (396)
18.87%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.43%

Watched Threads